Will this work? Lilacs and honeysuckle

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a l-o-n-g fence towards the front of our property that I want to plant lilacs along. Since they are only in bloom for such a brief period, I am thinking about interplanting the lilacs with honeysuckle vines, so that they would hopefully twine into the lilac bushes and brighten up the lilacs when they aren't blooming.

Would the honeysuckle be too heavy for the lilacs? Would they eventually overtake them? I'm hoping to spend only a minimal amount of time on upkeep, once I have everything established.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Depends on the type of honeysuckle and where you live. I know in zone 7 the regular white/yellow vine type can be quite invasive, and that one will certainly overtake the slow-growing lilacs. But I believe the red/orange varieties are less aggressive, more easily trellised and controlled--and there are bush types. Just be sure if you are in the US to get Diervilla spp. of bush honeysuckles--the other sort, Lonicera maackii, is quite invasive and a real problem to control.

For minimum upkeep I'd recommend something slower-growing though. Honeysuckle of any type will need at least an annual pruning, and can I just tell you, yanking big vines out of 10' tall hedges really sucks. Especially when you get a shower of caterpillars on your head. Can get a better idea of what to recommend if we knew your USDA zone or area...?

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, Rosalind, that's some good food for thought. I'm in SE Washington state, zone 6a-7a, depending on what map you look at. Little or no summer rain, so whatever I put in will get watered with the lawn sprinklers. Any tips or suggestions are very welcome.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was a thread on here recently about Rose of Sharon. That is an easy/no care shrub, that is great for covering fences, etc. They blossom in summer- might be fun to mix them with lilacs, for a spring flower and then summer... What about planting something that will actually grow on the fence? Hops for instance? I do love honeysuckle- but as Rosalind points out, it can be very invasive. Good luck- let us know what you decide!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you know anyone who has a bunch, they are very easy to dig up and transplant. My entire collection came from my brothers yard-5 hours away...They started as tiny sticks and are now 6 feet tall. A very rewarding, easy care, fast growing plant...

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have not grown vines on shrubs very much myself, but knowing those who have, I would not say it is well suited to a low-maintenance approach. You have to keep pruning the vines back carefully and thoughtfully so that they do not overwhelm the shrub or drag parts of it down, and so they keep growing out where you want them to rather than snaking all over to the top or other side or something you *don't* want.

If you want year-long color, I would suggest considering planting some low maintenance perennials (or shrub Potentillas, which flower more or less all summer and are very hardy and tolerant) sort of between/in-front-of the lilacs.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts