Wilting Epiphyllum

Mary S.

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello to you all, I am a Newbie coming in from Modesto, Calif. I am in need of some direction. I have been trying to root some epiphyllum cactus since the end of July and they are quite wilty. Though wilty I know 2 out of 6 have rooted. Please any suggestions greatly appreciate.

Mary S.

Sprout
Reaction score
Thank you Carol. I am learning to make my way around this forum.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Mary, a big welcome from me too... Now about your Epi, the one with the wide strap like leaves? How big are your cuttings and what are you rooting them in, mix, sand? Epis can stand a lot of wilting and still recover. Are the cut ends still in good shape. When I root them I leave the cuttings sitting on the bench for a few days so the cut end heals over then I pop them into any mix I have handy, give them some water and pretty much leave them alone to do their own thing.

Annette

Mary S.

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi Mary, a big welcome from me too... Now about your Epi, the one with the wide strap like leaves? How big are your cuttings and what are you rooting them in, mix, sand? Epis can stand a lot of wilting and still recover. Are the cut ends still in good shape. When I root them I leave the cuttings sitting on the bench for a few days so the cut end heals over then I pop them into any mix I have handy, give them some water and pretty much leave them alone to do their own thing.

Annette

Annette
Hello Annette. This is my first attempt at these and they are the wide leaf ones. I bought them online back in late July and they are about 6-8" long, the ends were already dried over. I waited another week then planted them in a 4" clay pot with pretty coarse cactus mix. When researching, I read don't water, or keep top 1/3rd moist. Well I have watered some but am confused as they don't look well. Not soggy, just really wilted.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mary, as long as the leaf ends haven't rotted they should pick up once well rooted and they start to grow, maybe not the mother leave but what developes from them definitely will, also you could try misting them. They are pretty tough, I found one of my cuttings that had fallen behind a bench in the greenhouse, must have been there a year. I gave it a drink and it shot a new growth although the original leaf all wizened up didn't come back, I just cut that off once the new shoot was big enough

Annette

Latest posts