Wish There Was A Market For This.......

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Huh, that's an interesting weed! We don't have that here. It is curious to note how many things come up in the garden of their own accord that are actually edible though. ;) I have a hard time finding a dandelion in my garden anymore because I eat them! Started last year putting chickweed on my salads every so often. Probably run out of that too. LOL

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I just paid $14 for 4 lbs of chufa (most of that was shipping). So yeah, there is a market for it. Not usually among your average gardener, but among people who hunt turkeys.
http://www.wammocks.com/Chufas-1-lb-CHFA-1.htm
Holy Moly......I didn't know that nutgrass and chufa was the same thing. I dug up and disposed of 60+ (stopped counting after twelve 5gal bucketsful) gallons of the demon weed last year.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh no! You've been tossing out money and/or FOOD!!! LOL

Ever taste them? The chufa I have tastes like a cross between almond and coconut. Mmmmmmm.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How do you prepare the chufa? Do you eat it raw, cooked, roasted, or dried? Do you eat it by it's self or in with other items in a recipe?

Back in the '90s I used to plant a Chufa wildlife food plot about 900' x 20'. That's when we owned our 150 acre farm in southern Ohio. The wild turkeys seemed to only like it in the very early spring when they could scratch and tear up the soil. Later in the growing season they would not touch it.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am still learning about it. All I have now is that bag of stuff for planting. I soaked a few for a couple of days and ate them to see what they taste like. I know they are a good source of natural oil and a good feed for ducks.

Latest posts