Witch Hazel shrubs, anyone?

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How tall can they get? I bought some from the Soil & Water Extension office this year, and I need to plant them soon!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are they the wild witch hazels, Hamamelis virginiana? They are understory sub-shrubs or trees, they can get to about 15', but you can keep them smaller by pruning. They need to grow beneath other trees, they don't like full sun at all. I love them, they bloom when nothing else is blooming, fall into early winter.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can always call the extension office and ask, especially if you got it there.

My Audubon Field Guide gives slightly conflicting (or maybe just less) information than Reinbeau's link for Hamamelis Virginiana L. Maybe the L on the end makes a difference. It says 20' to 30' for a height and that they like moist soil. The link said moist or dry. There are 2 trees and 5 shrubs native to North America.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yea, if you follow the link you'll see they also state 20-30', but by watching things around here I usually see them top off at about 15'. They're all around in the woods around here. I love them, their fall foliage is gorgeous, too!