With Storm from the NW

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . it is a day for us to use the Canadian radar.

I don't kow if Americans in other "northern tier" areas have this problem but the NOAA radar only shows about 30 miles into Canada here. Usually, that is okay with me since our regular storm pattern is from the southwest.

It is 34F, there are 36 mph gusts and it is snowing hard.

I am too dizzy from the blowing snow to convert that into metric. The "Weather Network" uses Environment Canada information and will kindly convert everything for an American, automatically. Here is where I go when storms come out of the north:

www.theweathernetwork.com

BTW, this service probably works well for anywhere in the US. They probably just use NOAA for the states but, at least, they show us our big neighbor to the north, Canada.

Steve :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not coming down too hard yet here, and the winds are still just breezy, but we woke up to 4" this morning. Took me by surprise. I looked at the weather last night and it said snow above 4000' ( that would be inAccuweather.com ). It was raining when I went to bed. Oh, we're at 2400'.

So I decided to celebrate and bake the little turkey that son #1 got from work and gave to us. It's a really nice free range bird, he had it in his fridge for 3 days already and I thought it would be safer to cook it now.

Good practice for Thanksgiving. We're also having sweet potatoes and roast potatoes and the usual stuff. I'm pretending I'm Canadian and just missed Thanksgiving by a month or so.

In two weeks I'll be American .

So anyway, I guess turkey dinner doesn't have a lot to do with weather forecasting does it?

May have to use your site from now on...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made a tomato and pasta casserole, Thistle'. It wasn't clear to me when I started that there was supposed to be an entire pound of cheddar cheese in it!

Not only is it just kind of a step up from mac & cheese but I got the salt off balance . . .

The storm isn't much from the north just yet. We may not have seen the last of the effects of that very powerful storm that came into western Alaska a day or 2 ago. Everything may be up in the air for awhile ;).

I was just complaining 2 days ago about the stagnant air!

Steve

blizzard.gif

edited to say: no, i think it is moving south on both sides of the Cascades.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It wasn't clear to me when I started that there was supposed to be an entire pound of cheddar cheese in it!

Whoa Steve! That sounds like a cheese casserole with pasta and tomato and more cheese! Yummy!

I was just complaining 2 days ago about the stagnant air!

Uh-huh..., so you're the guy! ;)

I'm not as disappointed by the snows arrival as I thought I would be. Probably because I'm amazingly caught up on garden chores, the animals are snugged up for the cold, and I'm ready for some indoor chores for awhile. Usually I'm scrambling and a day behind on everything.

Plus, we had a lovely fall this year. :)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes we did have a lovely fall this year. But i'm still not very stoked about the snow!! So far, we havent had any actual accumulation in the valley yet, but looks like its really been coming down up high in the mountains. Possibility of snow here every day for a week! :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The storms from the west have only the immediate set of Selkirk Mountains here to deal with after crossing miles and miles of open ground after the Cascades. Your western Montana terrain is much more complex, Heather.

Wind gusts above 30mph thru much of the night, temperature never dropped quite to freezing -- our 1/4" of precip which fell frozen from the racing clouds is all liquid this morning! If the soil wasn't so very thirsty, the wind would have picked up that water and blown it all away!
:frow

Steve
who only likes the look of a snow-covered landscape, enjoys no winter-time sports & doesn't appreciate being cold . . . so, what am i doing here?

Latest posts