With the harvest heavily upon most of us now.....

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
if yer gonna can, preserve, put up or what ever. Jist remember. HAVE FUN !!!!!!
I know a lot of us are cannin this year because of our economy and a lot jist because they've never done it before.
I've been readin a lot o' posts in this forum and i see that this cannin stuff is becomin work for a lot.
RELAX relax and experiment and ENJOY . Allowin this stuff to be fun(as it should be), will yeild you all much better results and doin it with a happy heart you'll all have much better flavors to enjoy this winter. If you aint havin fun in yer garden and yer kitchen then find something else to do.
Git chickens :weee

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nice post and a good reminder to those of us who are new to canning. I want it to be fun, but I admit to being a bit tense about it all.

Thanks for making me laugh :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And for things (esp. tree fruits) that are at their peak of perfection now, don't get so carried away canning/preserving/freezing/processing that you forget to EAT them!!

Sez the person who bought half a bushel of very good Niagara peaches the other weekend and after sweating and moaning and getting sore feet standing there peeling/pitting/processing all of them, realized WE NEVER DID GET TO EAT ANY :p They are all in the freezer or in jars. Doh!

Some things, you just ought to eat til you pop, while the season is in :p

Pat

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
TY for the reminder. :happy_flower

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
And for things (esp. tree fruits) that are at their peak of perfection now, don't get so carried away canning/preserving/freezing/processing that you forget to EAT them!!

Sez the person who bought half a bushel of very good Niagara peaches the other weekend and after sweating and moaning and getting sore feet standing there peeling/pitting/processing all of them, realized WE NEVER DID GET TO EAT ANY :p They are all in the freezer or in jars. Doh!

Some things, you just ought to eat til you pop, while the season is in :p

Pat
We alllmost made the same mistake Pat. We'd been sellin so many o' our pickles i realized last night that our garden is done makin cukes and we've now only got a couple o' jars for ourselves.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pat, I did just that same thing with my blackberries. I made jam and, instead of making a cobbler now, canned two jars of cobbler filling. Luckily, I've already got plans to aquire more blackberries. The local Blackberrie Festival is coming up next weekend.

Latest posts