Wonderful, sweet & crunchy pickle recipe

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this yummy recipe with ya'll since all those cukes are coming in. It is time consuming but well worth the effort.

Icicle Pickles (14 day pickles)

1 gal. cukes (sliced 1/4 inch thick)
1 cup pickle salt
1/2 gal. water

Mix salt & water, bring to a boil. Pour over cukes. Let stand for 1 week. (I do mine in gal. size glass jars at room temp.)
Rinse well.

Mix:
2 tbsp. alum in 1/2 gal. water. Bring to a boil and pour over cucumbers. Let stand 24 hours.

Rinse well.

Mix:
1 1/4 qt. vinegar
2 tbsp. celery seed
2 tbsp. pickling spice
3 sticks cinnamon
8 pints sugar (yes, 8 pints. Told you they are sweet.)

Bring to a boil and pour over cukes.

Drain this same mixture from cukes each night and boil for 4 nights. On the 4th night, pack cukes in jar size of your choice and seal. (Just try keeping your fingers out of them because they are ready.):love

Never heat the cucumbers!! I keep mine in the gallon jar until I am ready to pack them in quart jars.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never done pickles before and I am planning to do it this year. Thanks for the reciepe. It will be a grest help! :rainbow-sun

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Punkin, I have a couple of questions. How can they be crunchy pickles when they keep getting boiled? Also, when you "boil" them for four nights, how long do you boil them each time? I've never tried sweet pickles myself, as the family and I prefer just dills and bread-n-butter pickles, and this is why I ask these questions.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
blurose said:
Punkin, I have a couple of questions. How can they be crunchy pickles when they keep getting boiled? Also, when you "boil" them for four nights, how long do you boil them each time? I've never tried sweet pickles myself, as the family and I prefer just dills and bread-n-butter pickles, and this is why I ask these questions.
You never boil the cucumbers, just the same mixture that you drain from them each night for 4 nights. Keep your cucumbers in the jar. I just hold my fingers over the rim to pour the mixture from the jar. The only time I take mine out are when I put them in a seive to rinse the salt water and the alum from them. All you need to do is just bring to a boil. I let it boil for a couple of minutes.

Let me know if this helps.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the explanations.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
blurose said:
Thank you so much for the explanations.
No problem. I also have a friend who was going to remake the same sugar mixture over 4 times. (8 pts sugar x 4 nights) Thank goodness she called back before she bought all that sugar.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never made sweet pickles, thanks! :)

I do have a question....1 gal. of cukes =? A 1 gallon jar's worth?

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So glad that you posted this recipe, thank you.
My husband is the one who likes the sweet pickles and since I have been making dill all week I was looking for a good sweet recipe today for him. It couldn't have come at a better time.

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ooh that sounds good! I LOVE pickles - one of my fav snacks.

Simple Life/Natalie - what dill pickle recipe do you use, if I may ask?

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tutter said:
I've never made sweet pickles, thanks! :)

I do have a question....1 gal. of cukes =? A 1 gallon jar's worth?
Yes, I use 1 gal. glass jars like the ones you buy olives or something in. I just slice until it is full.

Latest posts