WR's Picante Sauce

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is a big hit in our lil' town (folks are always asking if I would make them a batch for their personal use), LOL!!!

Salsa.jpg

2 Roaster pans of tomatoes
6 Onions, chopped
6 Bell peppers, chopped
20 Jalapenos (with seeds), chopped
2 Tablespoon sugar (or Splenda)
1 Tablespoon canning salt
2 Teaspoon black pepper
1 Teaspoon cumin
1 Bunch cilantro, chopped
1 Cup white vinegar
1 Cup fresh squeezed lime juice

Wash the tomatoes then cut them in half length-wise and then remove the seeds. Arrange them in layers in a large roasting pan, skin side down (depending on the size & variety of your tomatoes, you will get about 5 layers into a roasting pan).

Roasted_Tomatoes_1.jpg

Roast for about 1 hour and 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until skins start to wrinkle.

Roasted_Tomatoes_2.jpg

Let cool and remove and discard the skins (they should just pinch off at this point).

Roasted_Tomatoes_3.jpg

Put the tomato meat into an 8 quart pot. Lightly puree tomatoes using a hand-held mixing stick, until chunky.

Mix all the remaining ingredients (except the cilantro & lime juice) together and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down & simmer for 2 hours, stirring often. Right before canning, add the chopped cilantro & the lime juice.

Salsa_Done.jpg

After putting the sauce into sanitized jars, give them a 15 minute bath in boiling water, then remove & allow them to cool undisturbed overnight. Check the seals & store in a cool, dry area.

This recipe makes 8 pints & can be doubled or tripled without any problem. Enjoy it with your favorite corn chips or served over rice or Melonessa de Pollo or both!!!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds good. Never thought of pre-drying tomatoes.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds like a yummy recipe, will have to try it. Do you roast them in the smoker in the roasting pan or spread them out in a shallower pan? I love anything smoked, this sounds awesome!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another question....you said roasting them releases the water, do you drain it off or incorporate it into the picante sauce?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds really good! I've added it to my canning recipes folder. Can't wait to try it. About how many tomatoes would you say that is (by pounds, bushel or 5 gal. buckets, if you have a guess)?

Latest posts