Yarrow that changes colors

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When I see yarrow growing in the wild it is usually white or yellow.

I have purchsed brilliant red yarrow, or pink but after a year or two it turns white.
Why is this happening? Is there something to add to the soil to keep its color?
thanks

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Mackay, what a great question! I can't wait to hear the answer :D I have had this happen in the past many years ago and just kind of forgot about it. :pop

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yarrow prefer an acid balance of 6.5 and depending on how high or low that number goes and change the color of hyrbrid bred colors other then the typical colors. Usually a small waver in acidity of the soil won't have an affect like that.

At least that's what I read. I've only ever seen the wild ones, and have never seen the hybrid colors like red... so I had to look it up.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I too have had that happen, and have heard that you must deadhead or it will revert. Yarrow cross pollinates really easily with each other too, so maybe yours has done that with a wild one?
Someone at a nursery told me that too much fertilizer can have that effect on them too. I don't know if any of this is accurate, but the reasons at least sound plausible....

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, the three yarrow I purchased from a nursery, a giant variety, sent many babies out into the world and they are coming up everywhere. It seems that they more productive than the wild ones in my area.

Its been a pretty good deal since I only paid one dollar for each pot! Next year I will pot up the offspring and sell them at farmers market.

The blooms are forming now. Can't tell the color yet but I should know in a week or so.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
strangely mine come up a pale pink at first and then slowly fade to white. i was wondering if that was normal or something to do with something in their environment that spikes or drops while it is growing.

Latest posts