YAY! First Tomato!! (finally!)

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am doing the happy dance because there is FINALLY a tomato ripening on my windowsill, having shown its first blush this afternoon. Would have come on here sooner with the announcement but I was helping to pull stumps and then had to run errands and then was offline for *hours* putting my new, very spiffy computer desk together!

But all of that happy stuff pales beside the fact that my first tomato has begun to ripen.

Not surprisingly, it is a hybrid, the tomato known as 'Bonnie's Best', though I prefer the much more descriptive name 'Prairie Early Star' (I made that up myself).

The thing that is surprising is that it's the smallest tomato on the plant, hardly bigger than a raquetball -- and there are many others on this particular plant that are bigger but not as ripe. Go figure!

And, just like last year, the Prairie Early Star beat out the Early Girl tomatoes for just about everything, including ripening.

Will get pics etc later, am too tired right now -- about to go to bed after spending 6 dang hours putting the desk together (and it's still not done!).

Whitewater

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats! Can't wait till you get to taste it! I harvested a handful of cherries the other night. Skin is a little tough, since our rain has been off or on...But, utterly wonderful! Patience is so difficult, but it always pays off!! Enjoy!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You rat! You beat me!

Well, I did have 1 ripe roma tomato, but it was mealy and managed to ripen during a stretch of weird weather. I am still waiting for my good tomatoes to ripen...the cherokee purples, black cherry tomatoes and the black krim.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whitewater said:
. . . I prefer the much more descriptive name 'Prairie Early Star' (I made that up myself).
Whitewater, I rename tomatoes too. Bloody Butcher is called Jalirancher around here! If my wife knew its real name . . . she already doesn't care for it. It isn't mild enuf :rolleyes:.

Did you know that there's a Prairie Fire tomato? The University of Alaska recommends it . . . Might beat your Early Girls, too ;)!

I'm going to look closely at the EG's this morning. The Sungolds are beating them, apparently but the EG plants are good sized. Sungolds are fairly tiny yet.

The weather will be close to 100F this weekend so I don't suppose that ripe tomatoes will be unavailable around here for long . . .

Steve :)

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Went out today and discovered the first black krim to have a blush.

Unfortunately, the tomato has a tenant, a teeny weeny little white spider, who has taken up residence in a dime sized hole in the bottom of the 'mater.

If he's not out by tomorrow, I'm going to evict him!

Whitewater

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started getting a couple of cherries before the 4th of July but our first tomato was on Tuesday, BLT's for lunch. Good Day. I had enough to make salsa today. Used Mrs. Wages, it only uses 6lbs of tomatoes where as my other recipes use 10lbs. Probably by this weekend I'll have enough for 10lbs batchs of sauces.

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So excited to see all you guys having ripe tomatoes too :) It's almost as much fun to hear your stories as it is to share mine!

Got the first San Marzano today, I know it's a paste tomato, but I think this one is going to be sacrificed to curiosity and cut up and tasted and so on perfectly raw.

It's on the windowsill with my 2nd Prairie Early Star and the now un-tenanted (thank goodness!) Black Krim, which seems to be doing well all things considered -- it also got a bit of rain rot!!!

Total harvest today is 2 tomatoes and a jalapeno.

Still no ripe Early Girls, haha! Makes me laugh, 'cause at this rate they might be the LAST to ripen! LOL!

Whitewater

Latest posts