Yay for new hibicus'

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The local water park (in Baton Rouge. LA) was closing for the season and so they sell all their hibicus for 5 buck or 4 if you buy over 10 so me and a guy at work bought a couple. I ended up with a Pink Semiole, a Painted Lady, and a Edward la Plante, and a mystery one. My favorite is going to be the Pink Semiole as I wanted all pink or white but I didn't go get them my friend did and he did his best to get what I asked for.

Anyway, I think they are all going to be gorgeous. They are about 4 feet tall now. I repotted them into containers and will research how to take cuttings for more plants so that I can spread the love.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I don't think hibiscus can be done fairly well from cuttings.... but I did start my own from seed.

I also cut back the nubs on the plants in the early spring since they force new growth from from the roots at the base and not on the already formed branches.

I don't know if you remember, but in 2008 I started a hibiscus from seeds I got at the NC Zoo. I planted like 30 seeds, got a few to sprout, only 1 survived. It lived in a pot until last fall when I transplanted it out into the garden, and this summer we got our first blooms!!!! :D

So I know the feeling of AWE over such a beautiful plant. :)

Congrats btw... I am jealous for sure... I would love a couple more myself. :love

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have been extremely lucky with hibiscus from cuttings. I currently have 15, which I will be potting up in the next week or so.

All I do is when I prune them, I take pieces about 12 inches long, remove all leaves except the top pair of leaves, remove the growing tip and cut the stem just below a leaf node. Make a hole in the ground (I use a piece of re-bar) place the cutting in, firm soil around it and water in, I water every day for about 5 days then leave.

I do usually plant them at the base of other shrubs to give them some shade, and usually I get anywhere from 50 to 60% success rate.

One they have out on a little growth I then pot them up, I find when I come to plant them in the garden they do better if from a pot (loss rootball distrubance).

Try it, you have nothing to loose and maybe a whole lot to gain.

Good luck

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I enjoy mine all summer, bring it inside in the fall, and watch it die. Repeat, next summer! Aren't you all lucky that you aren't in the dreaded zone 4!! Enjoy your new beauties!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was just thinking about how lucky I am to be a southern gardener. When I lived in Montana I got maybe from June -August to garden and that was it. And as I read all the posts about frost it makes me really thankful for not having to worry so much about it. My fall garden should go into Late Jan when I will need to plant again. And I can now plant all my pansies and snapdragon and they will be w wonderful color display all winter long.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh sure, go ahead and rub it in!!! Lucky you- you will have to post all winter long and assure us that something is growing and alive, somewhere! Enjoy!

Latest posts