Yellow Crookneck vs Scallopini?

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
At the moment I'm poring over my favorite seed catalogs, trying to decide on growing a different yellow squash variety or stick with the heirloom yellow crookneck. Is there any difference in taste between the yellow crookneck type and the scallopini (pattypan) squash?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not sure, however I like straigh as opposed to crook neck. They don't seem (to me) to get as tough of a skin which leaves them a little more tender. BUT this is just my opinion.

Hobby

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, this is probably not the answer you are looking for but those patty pan squash are so darn cute looking!!
Mine actually lasted longer after being picked than the crookneck, but I don't know what the variables are on that.
I thought these had more taste but again, that could be me.
Do you have a plan for them, as in just chopping them up for pasta primaveras, or do you want to slice them in rounds to layer them in a dish?
Just wondering if you have something in mind that could help you decide which would end up suiting your cooking needs.

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
simple life--I agree, the scallopinis are so cute. Flavor is important, of course.

My favorite way of fixing yellow squash is a quick saute in butter/olive oil, with onions & maybe diced green peppers added in. Sometimes I fix my version of pasta primavera. Rarely do I make casseroles in the summer because my dh is a roofing contractor and I can't be sure what time he will be home for dinner. Quick & simple, on the stove top, is my summertime cooking style.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Again, I have to say cute... generally I don't grow squash... this year I'm going to try some acorn, but thats only because I like making acorn squash with maple syrup and brown sugar for Thanksgiving... Otherwise I only buy like 1 summer squash a year to do a summer stirfry... and most people pick around the squash when I serve it. Seems a waste!

I think taste is the most important thing though... maybe buy one of those types of squash at the market and give it a taste run!

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've decided to order the scallopini seeds without the benefit of a taste test. :rolleyes: After growing the yellow crooknecks for 25+ years, I'll try something different. If my neighbor simply must have the crooknecks, I'll save her a spot in the garden. :D

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love summer squash of all kinds. I have grown both the zuccini and the yellow crooked necks. The best possible part with squash is that it is really really really hard to screw up. And just in case nothing else grows a heap of squash makes it all food. I have learned that five plants a bit TOO much.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew both last year and didn't notice the difference. All summer squash tastes pretty much the same to me, I can only tell the difference between winter squashes.

The scallopini were easier to scoop out and stuff with rice/breadcrumbs, if that helps. The crooknecks ended up being more useful marinated in Italian dressing and grilled or added to pasta salad. Scallopinis also were not so good in pureed soup as the crookneck, the seeds were kinda big even on immature scallopinis. When I put it in the blender, all these chunks of seed hulls ended up in the soup. Not so nice.

Latest posts