Yellowing leaves on Roses Lillys & Birch tree

CGriffith

Sprout
Reaction score
Last year we moved into a new to us house where all of the landscape had been badly neglected. We had some yellowing and slow leaf growth on our birch tree and some of our roses had som spots of yellowing leaves. I fertilized them every month with Miracle grow hoping to help them recover. As they have grown this year I am seeing the same issues. Our soil is pretty dense, everything gets regular waterings and grass and other bushes and plants are looking great. However all of my daylilys and and my smaller roses have light yellow leaves. Plus the birch tree also seems to be lacking. I was told it could be an iron or magnesium deficiency by a friendly neighbor (but he doesn't have any landscaping at all) so I was hoping to get some knowledgeable advise. Here are some photos

Attachments

• yellow1.jpg
    yellow1.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 132
  • yellow2.jpg
    yellow2.jpg
    844 KB · Views: 128
  • yellow3.jpg
    yellow3.jpg
    865.7 KB · Views: 129
  • yellow4.jpg
    yellow4.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 128
  • yellow5.jpg
    yellow5.jpg
    742.2 KB · Views: 135

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, it is lacking is it not? I have a heavy soil too, but our birches seem fine. They are in an acidic clay, at a low point where rain occasionally ponds. What are the rocks please? A limestone? Do they fizzle when you put an acidic liquid on them?

Have you tried a broad micronutrient mix?

What kind of miracle grow please? The liquid spray? 1 tbsp per gallon? You may simply need more. There are 231 cubic inches of water in a gallon. You need 288 cubic inches for 2 square feet if you give 1 inch of water per week. The trees could use tree stakes. I think it is one stake of fertilizer per x inches of trunk diameter, but I run them by the root flares where each root bundle gets one, out at the dripline.

A funny thing about dense soil is how roots have a hard time breathing. Of the major nutrients, Carbon, Oxygen and Hydrogen are most often left out of the discussion. Carbon could come from humate, the dry form of humic acid. There is reason to think the uptake is lacking because of a lack of magnesium. Fulvic acid- magnesium combos like Ful-Mag might be of use, or epsom salts which is magnesium-sulpher especially if you have a high pH.

Its really hard to say from a few pictures.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year we moved into a new to us house where all of the landscape had been badly neglected. We had some yellowing and slow leaf growth on our birch tree and some of our roses had som spots of yellowing leaves. I fertilized them every month with Miracle grow hoping to help them recover. As they have grown this year I am seeing the same issues. Our soil is pretty dense, everything gets regular waterings and grass and other bushes and plants are looking great. However all of my daylilys and and my smaller roses have light yellow leaves. Plus the birch tree also seems to be lacking. I was told it could be an iron or magnesium deficiency by a friendly neighbor (but he doesn't have any landscaping at all) so I was hoping to get some knowledgeable advise. Here are some photos
Daylilies are the least needy of most any plant. Miracle grow will give your plants a short term boost. You have not addressed the conditions of your poor soil. And is that stone mulch? I cannot imagine that would be good for anything except a driveway. You need to add compost and other soil amendments to ever have nice, easy garden.

Latest posts