You can sure tell it's winter here...

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Where is everybody-I'm having withdrawls...I need my daily fix of TEG!

Hey you guys, I got a topic to share-
I having a winter sowing program in December for the general public. My plan is to present the idea, show them how and then do a hands on, make your own to take home-mini greenhouse.

I've created a powerpoint presentation and have lots and lots of trash(hehehe) saved to use a containers. My committee has a decent budget so I'll buy soil if I can't find someone to donate it. I've been saving seeds and have asked for some from my fellow master gardener association members.

I'm still looking for more seeds-especially cosmos-if anyone wants to contribute their extras to the cause. please and thanks

Well, what do you guys think-comments, ideas, suggestions?

I'm missing the rush of trying to keep up with reading all the new post here...just sayin'

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree it is looking fairly bleak around these parts lately.

What are these greenhouses made out of? I'm curious. Please elaborate.

What is your venue? I know some local nurseries give one day classes.

Wish I had seeds to spare, but it seems I barely save enough for my own use. :/

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Check out this website
www.wintersowing.org
mini greenhouses made out of recyclables. soil and seeds in clear plastic containers left outside all winter that then germinate at appropriate time for them to thrive.

Don't worry about the seeds, I'm sure to get plenty.

The venue you ask?
I plan monthly public education workshops for my master gardener association, of which I'm a member. I became a certified master gardener after a fellow BYCer (Carol) introduced me to it and I was hooked. Being a certified MG mostly means I volunteer a lot of time, but it's something I love-lol don't we all?
The workshops are at the local extension office and since I have a small budget, I end up begging others to 'volunteer' too. hehehe

But really I was just ready for some new post to read here and thought I'd make my own. Lame I know-but true.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I understand your motivation for starting this thread. ;)

I believe you posted about this techinique earlier, or someone else did . . . however the link you gave did not yield me much this time around. . . not sure why but I saw mostly advertisements? Maybe I missed something?

Isn't there a test you take to become a master gardener? Do you need to take classes or can you just take the test if you feel confident in your skills? I have thought about doing that, but now that you mention it I don't know if I have a lot of time for volunteering. :( I moved from my established garden into the land of many rocks & weeds, and now garden by way of blood, sweat, and tears. It is going to take me some time to re-root. :p

I applaud your efforts! I think the winter gardening you speak of would be a fun and easy project for a lot of folks. It will get them thinking about gardening year-round, which I think can only be a good thing.

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden, I am unsure about where you are but here in Indiana you take a 13 week course and the the test. You are required to make at least 12 of the 13 classes to become certified. This is a Purdue program so differs from other state programs I'm sure.
Thank you for your words of encouragement.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, robbobbin.

I hope you get some cool seeds for this project! I think it would be fun if you could find some unusual heirloom varieties, like those purple beans that I have seen. That would make the project really motivating (at least that would be my opinion if I were in your class)!