You ever read a book and think

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember the movie they made from Battlefield Earth. I thought the book was great, read it several times. But the movie was horrible. How much of that was the story and how much was how the movie was made? I think they would need to do a much better job of explaining what was going on. I think that was the big failure, even if you had read the book it was often unclear what was going on. But there were other big issues with how it was made.
I too was disappointed in the movie, after having read the book. Granted, I was much younger when I read the book, and less critical of its flaws... but the movie told only part of the story, and did that poorly. IMO, Travolta & L. Ron's estate (read: Scientology) may have hindered its production.

Zeedman, have you read the Safehold Series by David Weber. I think it is one you would enjoy.
Not that series. I've read several of Weber's "Honor Harrington" novels, which resemble Ian Douglas' "Star Carrier" series in the way they portray space combat. Of the two authors, I find the novels of Douglas to be more realistic scientifically, and the references to military structure & strategy more accurate. Weber has a greater focus on politics & intrigue.

I have to laugh at one of the villains in the "Honor Harrington" universe, which is the manipulative slaver corporation "Manpower". Makes me wonder if the author once worked for Manpower (the real staffing agency) as a temp, and still holds a grudge. :idunno :smack

Latest posts