You guessed it, I placed another order!

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Once you start, you can't stop!

I ordered from Select Seeds. I have never heard of them before joining here. I love Morning Glories (matter of fact, that was my nick name as a kid) and saw a spectacular one 'Carnivale di Venezia' somewhere years ago. I looked and looked for it. I had given up, I ordered Heavenly Blue yesterday, I had a red/white/blue mix last year, before that Grandpa Ott. I grew up thinking they were weeds, since they took over every corn field and garden plot ever.

Anyway, I digress...

I found the morning glory I was looking for and since I could not pay $4 shipping for just one packet I also ordered:

Stock 'Sugar and Spice'
Stock 'Evening Scented'
Four O'Clock 'Marbles'

I have never heard or seen Stock before. I can't wait. I forgot to order Four O'Clocks from Parks yesterday. I am glad I did, b/c these are fabulous

Anybody have any input on Select Seeds?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have info on Select Seed, JC, other than to say that I've heard from others that they do okay for their customers.

You'll probably enjoy stock. I've only grown it a couple of times - it is the oddest flower. In looks, it's something like what a kindergarten kid would make with tissue paper, "wadded" together. Not ugly in the least but kind of a kindergarten look. Fragrance, well, that's really special :rolleyes: ! It's right up there with the best of the roses.

With morning glory you need to distinguish between the lovely annual Ipomoea (I think there might be a perennial in there somewhere) and bindweed. The garden flower is a Convolvulus like the weed but much, much better behaved. The weed has a flower but it will take over the world if you give it a chance!! Call it bindweed and get it out of your garden, please :eek: !

Wonderful selection of seeds, JC!

Steve

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Fortunately the morning glories I remember as a kid were all Ipomoea species gone wild. I can look at pics and id the flowers I remember as a kid. Passion Fruit/flower was another aggressive plant we dealt with. Wisteria would run rampant too, take over an abandoned house and crush it.

Every level spot in the mountains where I grew up and farmed had once had a house on it. We would be walking through the woods and come across bearded iris, day lilies, daffodils, crocus, etc. where somebody had once lived and planted. When I was little I thought these were all wild plants native to NC!

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My Select Seeds order came today. I can't wait to start the Stock. They also sent me a free pack of Cleome 'color fountains' I have never grown Cleome before.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
be aware that unless you have pretreated seed, cleome generally germinates really poorly unless cold-treated first.

Ask me how I know (or anyhow, what made me look it up) ;)

Pat, who ended up with a grand total of two whole cleome plants last year :p

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well that is really good to know! Free seeds don't do any good if I can't get them to grow.:watering

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let's see, how did I describe the smell of stock . . . okay, "special."

So in the spirit of that conservative analysis let me describe the smell of cleomes as . . . peculiar.

Steve

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OK digitS', I am not sure if that last post was to encourage or scare me!:ep

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I have never shoved a Cleome up my nose, but I have never noticed any particular scent from them, peculiar or otherwise, when just walking by or working near them.

I think Steve is just trying to weird you out ;)

Pat

Latest posts