Your Catalogs for 2020!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20191231_131939.jpg

This was the first seed catalog that I ever saw, I'm quite sure.

No, it wasn't 150 years ago, Silly! Sometime in the 1960's. I had started having my own garden and the neighbor across the road was a school teacher. She was from Rockford Illinois and that is where RH Shumway was located, at that time!

I remember the Kentucky Wonder beans I grew in that garden. (Shumway still has them ;).) I only set up a 4' tall trellis, not sure why. Good thing that it was sturdy. The vines grew up and down, up and down! Lots of memories, in the pages of this catalog.

Steve
the 2020 Territorial catalog came today :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, so in the frog and fish illustration, is the fish carrying a basket of fish eyes? I don't think I get it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a modern product illustration:

IMG_20200101_133319.jpg

I could have used one of the Fedco bean illustrations but it would have been impossible for me to explain what a mother hippo might have to do with a bean. And, why she is pushing one baby in a carriage and carrying the other on her head.

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OK, so in the frog and fish illustration, is the fish carrying a basket of fish eyes? I don't think I get it.
They're black eyed peas, same on the letter (the original illustration is from Alice in Wonderland, the Queen's footman (fish) delivering the invitation to play croquet to the Duchess's footman (frog))

Lets see, I've gotten Select Seeds, Native Seeds SEARCH (I think you only get the paper catalog from them if you are a member*). Probably some others I didn't notice. Presumably will get Ricter's Herbs soonish**, and Baker Creek.

*Though if they are as perpetually in need of funds as they say they are in their weekly requests for more money, I wonder why they go to the expense when they have an online catalog.

** Not much use to me, as I generally only use the Seed Zoo there, which isn't covered by the catalog and rarely updates.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
With an online and lots of local garden center availability: Do you have an important source for seed?

I realized today that this is Renee's Garden, for me. I have never ordered from them. They are well represented on the seed racks that I pursue. So often, those are the packets of seed that I'm bringing home. I wonder if those are in your local garden center ..?

Super online catalog: https://www.reneesgarden.com

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do not recall ever seeing Renee's Garden seed packets on any garden center rack, either local or big box. May be regional?

I do not have a go to source for seeds. I prefer to buy local if I can and don't have a favorite company for the packaged seeds. If i can't find what I want local I'm as likely to buy from Burpee, Park, Johnny's, or many others. It depends on who has what I want and the price, including shipping.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pursue? Well, that may describe it. Peruse! Dang autocorrect ...

It might be regional. There is a telephone number on their website for questions about local garden center availability. It would be interesting to know how far afield they are. Ya know, you watch these businesses evolve ...

Their shipping department is in Boulder Colorado but the business office is in the San Francisco Bay area. A little online research turned up no retail shop.

Steve

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey FYI: we've added this to our featured items on the Homepage!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20200117_131512.jpg

This is the 2020 Kitazawa catalog. It isn't flashy and about the last to show up each year. I think that this is almost 2 weeks earlier than last year. The seed packets are all $4 and that must include these recommended combinations. There are several pages and :) some recipes in the back of the catalog.

There are a couple combo packs that look good to me. Imagine that you have these ingredients and then ... it's dinner !

Lots of variety in Kitazawa - veggies that may be uncommon but, this seed company has been around for more than a century.

Steve

Latest posts