Your Other Hobby (s)?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello TEG!

I am wondering, besides gardening, what are your hobbies?

I, just tonight, started boxing/kick boxing. Once I tied on a couch cushion to the bag, I started whacking the thing with my legs and it is SO MUCH FUN!!! The punching, I suck at, but I really love kicking it.

I also do archery, since last year, with a 50# bow. Muscles you never knew you had, you will discover and use. Really neat.

Then, I have been working a ton with my gelding to get him to ride. Averaging, every other day, I work with him to figure it out. Walk on while mounted, that is. He was supposedly green/saddle broke. Unknown how far they went, if he just needed miles or if he started to buck or?? But he's been a doll with me, I just need to transfer the Walk cue from the ground to mounted. He doesn't get annoyed with me, no spooks, no bucking, nothing. He's just not getting it yet that I want him to walk w/o me leading him. I've noticed that the less between my bum and his back, the better he gets what I want. But he lumbers and has a fairly upright shoulder, so it's hard to keep my position, thus, confusing him with what I want. =/

I have several other hobbies, but the ones above are my most physically demanding hobbies.

What are yours? Pictures?

:)

2015-07-26 00.41.23.jpg
2015-07-22 19.47.09.jpg
2015-07-26 00.42.22.jpg
2015-07-26 00.43.24.jpg
2015-07-26 00.43.53.jpg
Screenshot_2015-07-22-19-22-07.png

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do I do for fun when I'm not gardening?
Well, I enjoy sewing, quilting, and several needle crafts...
Fossil hunting, exploring scenic areas...
Reading, learning about historic places..,..
Trying to civilize my grand daughters....
That, taking care of the chickens and dog, and cooking is about all I have time and energy for. (Notice: no time for cleaning house, haha)
Still no pics, as technology is very low on my "likes" list.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to love riding and helped train horses for riding (once they didn't buck). However, the threat of a broken bone from a spooked horse is no longer something to poo-poo.

Gardening has become #1 over the years, but I crochet, macramé, and knit. I love building -- houses, additions, sheds, coops, birdhouses -- anything with wood, but it was something I enjoyed with DH. Without DH doing it beside me, it just isn't the same fun.

HFH builds are always fun but at most, the women are relegated to go-fers, fetchers and carriers and while I'm good go-ferring for DH, I don't like the "little lady" tone I have gotten from some of the men at HFH sites. The best builds were the 7 we built as an all-women team. Sure wish they would put another group together like that.

I could always say reading was a hobby but that's not been true since 2002. I still do some story-telling at schools which is always a blast, but not on the hobby scale. I suppose, other than gardening, my biggest 'hobby' is keeping DH happy and well.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
In your 5th pic down, looks like you have a pretty view from your farm, Secuono . How many acres do you have?

Gardening is my number one hobby now, including seed-saving and swapping these days, particularly heirloom beans and tomatoes among other things.

I used to have a ton of hobbies back when I had more time to myself! I love to draw and paint, scrapbooking, most all of the fiber crafts. Anymore, I mostly just hoard art and craft supplies. :rolleyes: I have all of these scrapbooks I'd done of my pets, my horse, my DH and all back in the day. But despite all of the cute pics I have of the kids, I haven't done the first scrapbook page of either of them in the 8 years since Ava arrived. No time for such a fussy hobby anymore. LOL Oh well, maybe when they're grown and gone I'll get it caught up. I also used to make jewelry and sell a few pieces and do custom work. I used to blog for fun. No time for that anymore either.

Every chance I get otherwise is spent on outdoors activities. I get very excited about hunting wild mushrooms and foraging for wild medicinals and edibles. I think canning might also be a hobby technically. It's what I do with a lot of the things I grow or find. I still love hiking, although I don't get to do all those cool mountain trails that I used to do in college. After that is fishing--that's what I do to relax.

horse2.JPG Morels06_01.JPG IMG_0042.JPG jasper-herringbone_01.JPG jewelry_0840.JPG moonstone-peyote_01.JPG

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dream vacation would be prospecting for gold, gems or fossils in the west.
@journey11, I like your jewelry, too. I made jewelry for a while (not as imaginative as yours) but there's only so much jewelry you can wear while cleaning out the chicken pen or pulling weeds, so I put it aside for a while. While Mom was in assisted living, and mobile, I made her lots of jewelry, and some for her friends.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I'm not getting my self into trouble with remodeling, I like to make quilts and crochet. I have no idea how I posted these. :D

Attachments

• DSC02078.JPG
    DSC02078.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC02077.JPG
    DSC02077.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC02073.JPG
    DSC02073.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 192
  • Valentines Day Wreath.jpg
    Valentines Day Wreath.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 161

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love architecture, nothing I enjoy more then touring a old mansion. Newport is one of my favorite get aways. I also love to collect, right now I collect depression glass salt and pepper shakers in ruby and cobalt.. i also collect a spode copeland china called Greek. Love poking around antique shops.

Latest posts