Yummy Home Grown Sprouts

Grandmas Garden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
In the late fall and winter months I have always grown sprouts.
I have had this set up for 30 years.
P1010357 (640x480).jpg
I have organic beans and grain that I have used as sprouts. Adzuki beans, red wheat etc.
Last year I ordered a big can of seed from True Leaf Market "Handy Pantry"

Capture.JPG

70c5891170a402dd5eae42070cd9a353.gif
sulforaphane-infographic.jpg

I do let my sprouts get taller than the tray, but sometimes we eat them to soon.
I like both, sprouts and microgreens. https://practicalgrowing.com/microgreens/difference-sprouts-shoots-microgreens/
I just need to get a good microgreen set up from True Leaf Market https://www.trueleafmarket.com/

This is a pic from last Dec. I have kombucha, sourdough and sprouts going.

2602490-aba8f184376f58fce60450aab9dc454c.jpg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love growing sprouts! I grow mine year around. My mix of sprouts includes broccoli, alfalfa, radish, and clover. I love eating them on tacos, sandwiches, burgers, etc.! I get mine online from Sprouthouse.

Attachments

• IMG_20201022_162834607_HDR_480x640.jpg
    IMG_20201022_162834607_HDR_480x640.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 123

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is a great thread to read through; I used to be into homegrown sprouts years ago. I don't know why I stopped. Seeing all the pictures reminds me of how good they were, especially on sandwiches. I really miss the mung bean sprouts I used to buy at the grocery store. I regularly made stir fries with veggies, tamari, tofu & those. But there was some kind of bacteria scare that happened with them maybe 15 years ago, and I never saw them again. They were so good!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I did it.

Jars with radish and alfalfa seeds for sandwiches and mung beans for stir fries in the kitchen. Started yesterday with 3 jars and cheese cloth. Looks like there might be something going on with the mung beans, already!

I don't remember how long ago it was when I did this before. It may well have been during the previous millennium.

:) Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay,

That didn't work that well. Here's a question and I suspect that I know the answer.

Was putting them in the kitchen window a bad idea? The sprouts have had almost zero direct sunlight but they began turning brown almost immediately after filling the jars.

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay,

That didn't work that well. Here's a question and I suspect that I know the answer.

Was putting them in the kitchen window a bad idea? The sprouts have had almost zero direct sunlight but they began turning brown almost immediately after filling the jars.

Steve
Steve,
I have also had problems growing the larger sprouts. I don't know why. My daughter experienced the same problem. I have had nothing but success, though, with radish, alfalfa, clover, and broccoli sprouts. Something is easier with growing the small sprouts. I have also changed up the equipment I use to grow them. I use a small glass jar with a stainless steel screen lid. I rinse it once a day and keep it upside down so the rinse water can drain out. Don't give up on sprouts! They are so yummy!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
problems growing the larger sprouts
Thank you for the encouragement, Dahlia. Those were the ones - the mung bean sprouts.

They "took off" immediately so this wasn't an seed viability problem. I imagine that they would have been okay to plant. The alfalfa was fine, a little stronger flavored than I remembered (maybe also because of being on the window sill). The radish seed was from a different company and had really poor germination. Taste-wise, it was a little disappointing because it didn't taste at all like a radish ;).

I worry about putting the sprouts somewhere that I don't see them easily and often. Maybe they would be okay on top of the fridge, where I usually start garden plants. I'll try again with the mung beans in some low-light location.

Steve

Latest posts