Zone 5/6 Quick Growing Evergreen

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need to plant a evergreen hedge along road. Thick slow draining clay zone 5, that can tolerate road salt in winter. All of my budget going into building of garage so looking for something on cheaper side. Is a tall bamboo ever green? I big plus would be something that flowered.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're not asking for much....
sCo_hmmthink.gif

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
www.finegardening.com/only-shrubs-you-need-grow

My vote is for purple smoke bush. It is pretty all seasons, gets as tall as you wish (to about 12 feet), but can be trimmed as desired, and it is grown around here as a street-terrace tree so salt isn't a problem. One of mine is a tree, but the other came up as a shrub that could meet your needs.

Your neighbor will have a lovely view - without seeing your garage - in a relatively short time.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need to plant a evergreen hedge along road. Thick slow draining clay zone 5, that can tolerate road salt in winter. All of my budget going into building of garage so looking for something on cheaper side. Is a tall bamboo ever green? I big plus would be something that flowered.
Bamboo is tropical. I don't think it can take your winters.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bamboo is tropical. I don't think it can take your winters.

Mary
There are tens of thousands of types of bamboos. There are winter hardy. There are also clumping types that don't spread like crazy.. I have one that is green all winter. It took forever to grow and is still just a small short -4 feet-plant. Be careful of what you plant if you go with bamboo. Unwanted running bamboo will
be a unkillable nuisance..

Latest posts