Zucchini Tips?

PhoenixAngel429

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have four zucchini plants and I was wondering what I can do when they are done growing.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do you mean the extra zucchini you harvest and have LOADS of extra to store? I always just shred mine and freeze it in bags of 2 cups at a time. I always use that the rest of the year to make zucchini bread and it last me a good 6-8 months for baking purposes. Its so watery and mushy though, I don't get to use it for stir fries or anything like I can with the extra peppers.

I ALSO do about 3 quarts of zucchini dill refrigerator pickles. Soooooooo good and they keep their crunch like the cuke pickles do, but they are on the sweeter side. Summer squash is good to pickle extra of too.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Do you mean the extra zucchini you harvest and have LOADS of extra to store? I always just shred mine and freeze it in bags of 2 cups at a time. I always use that the rest of the year to make zucchini bread and it last me a good 6-8 months for baking purposes. Its so watery and mushy though, I don't get to use it for stir fries or anything like I can with the extra peppers.

I ALSO do about 3 quarts of zucchini dill refrigerator pickles. Soooooooo good and they keep their crunch like the cuke pickles do, but they are on the sweeter side. Summer squash is good to pickle extra of too.
Would you have a recipe to share for the zuchinni ref pickles??:drool

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Easy peasy!

4 cups apple cider vinegar
2 cups water
1/2 cup kosher or pickling salt
2 Tbsp whole mustard seed
1/4 cup dried onion flakes
2 tbsp dill seed

Heat to combine flavors

Let cool to room temp

Fill sterilized jars with zucchini, squash or cukes. Pour cooled pickling liquid over veggies, lid and allow to sit on counter for 24-48 hours then into the fridge. In 24 hours enjoy crisp yummy veggies. Lasts in the fridge up to a year! (If you don't eat them all before then like we do!)

luvsdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Actually, you can prepare them for stir-fry....wash, dice, and boil for 3 minutes. Get them out of the boiling water quickly and into ice water. Drain really good and pack in freezer bags and freeze. Try them in a little olive oil and onions - cooking quickly - and serve with grated parmesan....yummy!:rainbow-sun

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My main zucchini recipe is for salsa.
I made it because I had tons of tomato and zuchs I used it in tons of recipes, casserole, fritters, jam, pickles, cakes, cookies, grilled, fried, froze some. I had tons I tell ya. Last yr had to buy it at farmers market.

Now my family won't tolerate store salsa. I have to make it and can it by the quarts not pints lol

Zucchini Salsa
I run every thing threw food processor we like it ground up not chunky
Not a real recipe I do it by taste
Zucchini
Tomatoes
Onion
Peppers
Seasonings
And some type of salsa canning pkts I like mrs wages and another brand I can't think of until I see the pkg lol
Cook on stove at a simmer for hr or two ladle into jars and hot water bath them

Latest posts