Zucchinis are gone...AGAIN!!!!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have replanted TWICE ALREADY! At first I thought it was the squirrels. I replanted and then covered it with a wire crate. The new plants started looking good and then I noticed yesterday they were chewed down to nothing!!!

Looks like the work of earwigs. I HATE THOSE THINGS!!!

I have been spreading DE, but obviously I need something more.

DE mixed with Borax maybe?? I still have time to try one more round.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh- I am sorry to hear that. I don't mind most bugs- but those things give me the creeps!! Just starting to see them here in zone 4. With the wet weather we have been having, I expect they will be prolific! I will be anxious to hear if there is anything to repel them... Good luck!

ohiofarmgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ughughghh!!! sorry. i keep wondering if i should let a couple of my older and more reliable hens into the garden to do a little bug picking....

and i go back and forth on the pesticides... i know that DE/borax will get a lot of crawlies... but the chemical ones work pretty well. but then i cant let any of the hens in, have to wash everything etc. ugh. wish i could have gotten guineas this year!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If I let the ducks go through that area, I am sure all the earwigs will be gone, but then again so would all my lettuce, spinach, radish tops, etc...

LOL

I went ahead and put DE and Borax down last night around the edges of the bed. We will see how that works.

ohiofarmgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
well one or two of my most reliable older hens found their way into my garden! yikes!!! but fortunately they did a good and not destructive job.

hope they got some of those darn bugs!

jessejames

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
after getting a horrible earwig infestation last year ( they reall like it wet) i discovered after much experimentation that just good old dish soap and water in a squirt bottle was all it took and it worked wonders
to get a lot of them at once i would set "traps around" anything that they like to sleep in like thin tubing etc. (they seemed to love my daughters stroller with its aluminum tubing) and then would shake them out and proceed to spray away
it is quite satisfiying to watch them go into cunvulsions and die i mut say after watching them desimate my garden for weeks
hope this works for you
as always
jessejames

ps i picked that up from ed lawrence on cbc up here in canada he has weekly call in show and is amazing in his knoledge any other ed fans out there

ohiofarmgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wifezilla - hows those zucc's doing?

thanks jessejames - i'll head out with my squirt bottle also

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put some in a container and they are doing well. I also have a back-up plant at a friend's house. She has a bigger yard than me. I may get some yet!

valmom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Something's eating my squashes down, too, but I blame the groundhog. I haven't seen any particular bugs, but I sure do see him.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Feed him about 30 grains of lead and then you won't see him anymore.

Latest posts