zucchinis

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
this is my first time growing zukes, and I've noticed that they are growing under the stems of the leaves. Do I need to move them so that they get more room to grow? I'm afraid to cut off any leaves b/c I don't want to leave an opening for squash borer. Also, are they a hot-weather-lover? They seem to have slowed down, but it's been unseasonably cool here the past few days (after 2 weeks in the 90s).

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree. Don't move the zucchini. They will grow fine. I don't recommend cutting leaves off as I find zucchini (summer squash and cucumbers too) are pretty delicate. They can lose a lot of moisture through the cuts and don't seem to like the extra attention. I have to be very careful when I'm looking under the leaves for the squash bug or squash borer eggs. I have killed plants by being too rough.

You need to remove the zucchini, yellow squash, or cukes after it gets big, even if you are not going to use it, so the plant keeps producing. Don't let it mature on the vine. I find that if you split it and give it to the chickens, they'll strip the flesh out and leave the skin. And there is nothing wrong with feeding your compost heap with excess produce.

Latest posts