Zuccinni Pickles-Boiling In Jars?

Patiofarmer

Sprout
Reaction score
I used pressure cooker to can my first ever batch of zuchinni pickel chips. I got them to 240 degrees for 10 minutes + to make sure no bacteria, etc...

I have never seen it done before so I was wondering... is it normal for bubbles to be "boiling" in the jars and rising to the top of the Kerr jars right after you take them out of the pressure canner??

It looks as if the air/gas bubbles are being pulled right out of the zuchinni slices?? It resembles boiling water in a pan...except it's in the sealed jar.

I've never seen anything canned before so this may be normal for all things canned as they come out of the pressure cooker?

(I grew this zuchinni on back patio in a plastic tub )
Patiofarmer

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds normal - welcome to canning :) You did let the pressure drop and then let it sit for a little while, yes? You can get excessive liquid loss if you have too-abrupt changes in temperature, for instance if you open the pressure canner the instant you physically are able and yank the jars out right away. But even done properly, yes, you will see 'boiling' in the jars.

Have you considered just using a water bath canner for your pickles, though? Pressure canners are not usually used for pickles because of the likelihood of overcooking. (Pickles, made following a tested recipe out of a good book or etc, are safe to waterbath can because they are high acid. Non high acid things DO need to be pressure canned, of course)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Patiofarmer

Sprout
Reaction score
Patandchickens and Ridgerunner

Thanks to both of you for the input for the novice.

I got so afraid of the Botulism warnings I was afraid to just water bath can the Zuchinni chips.

Anyway, I'll find out soon if they're over done :)

2 weeks ago I made my first batch of salsa (made from my own "buckets and tubs grown"patio cherry large tomatoes and peppers and onions)!

Learning new things that are really old things.

How did we all get so far away from knowing how to do the basics in life ... like growing and preserving our own food ?!

Thanks Again

Latest posts