Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh Sentry! It’s been raining all day. This on top of the floods of the Trinity River and the San Jancinto River only 10 days ago, displacing people and destroying their homes and vehicles. I’ve been in the kitchen, came to look out the window at the rain.

Buford and Sentry had “something” up front by the driveway. Sheba, across the driveway in the front field, was up on the fence, barking and jumping up and down. Definitely not a turtle, she could care less about a turtle. I suited up against the rain and walked down the driveway. Something big and blackish looking. Went back to the house for my phone, to get pictures of Sentry and his prize.

Buford met me at the gate, Sentry saw me and came running.
“What’cha got? Show me! What’cha got? “

Sentry and Buford ran ahead, stopping to look back and see that I was following. Sentry ran ahead to keep Buford from claiming his prize.

Note Carson at the fence.

View attachment 65847

Sheba, across the driveway in the front field.

View attachment 65848

Growling softly at Buford

View attachment 65849

It’s a nutria! A small male

View attachment 65850

Nope! You can have it.

View attachment 65851
What on earth is it 😳

Edited
I read that they live near River, and that they can spread waterborne diseases.
If I was there I would be making that dog have something to make sure he's not ill. But that's just me

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just answered my own question!
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=nutria+vs+muskrat&id=5D2ADAC29447C9357C0B3FCD63879AB3E13CB8A1

Nutrias and muskrats are both semiaquatic rodents that occupy the same wetland habitats1. However, there are some differences between them12:
  • Nutrias are larger and more robust than muskrats.
  • Nutrias have a longer lifespan and higher intelligence compared to muskrats.
  • Nutrias are more social, forming family groups, while muskrats are generally solitary.
  • Nutrias can tolerate human presence, potentially approaching for food, while muskrats are shyer.
  • Muskrats are smaller and more tolerant of cold climates.
  • Muskrats have a laterally flattened tail it uses to assist in swimming, whereas the tail of a nutria is round.
Learn more:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just answered my own question!
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=nutria+vs+muskrat&id=5D2ADAC29447C9357C0B3FCD63879AB3E13CB8A1

Nutrias and muskrats are both semiaquatic rodents that occupy the same wetland habitats1. However, there are some differences between them12:
  • Nutrias are larger and more robust than muskrats.
  • Nutrias have a longer lifespan and higher intelligence compared to muskrats.
  • Nutrias are more social, forming family groups, while muskrats are generally solitary.
  • Nutrias can tolerate human presence, potentially approaching for food, while muskrats are shyer.
  • Muskrats are smaller and more tolerant of cold climates.
  • Muskrats have a laterally flattened tail it uses to assist in swimming, whereas the tail of a nutria is round.
Learn more:
Thanks Carol 👍 😊