Garden Master
Reaction score
?

snowglobe_zps45f703e9.gif

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Digit, I have to say that I've been thinking about this since actually last year, and my thoughts have evolved to my present thinking.

Around February 1st I plan on starting those very slow to mature rare beans in large pots. That means I have to plan my new indoor starting setup. I did no indoor starts last year, and the year before my setup was very flimsy. I still have the heat pads but both my flourescent lights are now being used for other purposes, one in the generator shed for light, the other behind my kitchen sink.

More in a minute.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
To actually have some rain in May and June.

To actually have a year with a clear view of what to plant. I'm really bad on wanting to try something new and have no room so I make room.......

To have some sweet corn to eat this year.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For 2013 I am hoping for....

-Enough space in my garden for everything
-Sell enough extra plants to pay for my own
-Good productivity in all my many new varieties
-Get a good bumper crop so I don't have to buy odds and ends at the farmer's market
-Hold a class for my friend's daycare to teach the kids about gardening and chickens

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
I'm hoping for a better tomato yield.
Don't know if you can get it, but use a product called Black Label Zinc Fantastic product for tomato's. Especially if you fight blossom end rot or spindly plants.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
So yes, it'll be those rare beans started early. There will also be some other beans including the new tepary selections.
The south row will be Peas planted outside probably at several times and probably reseeded as needed, but beginning March 1st, maybe earlier.
The north row will be devoted entirely to bramble berries of all the kinds I have and of as many other kinds as I can get, the more unusual ones the better. ah, reminded myself to get the wild unusual ones at that secret patch in the woods that has those unusual leaves and smallish blackberries. A friend claims to have a friend who has white blackberries and she tells me she'll bring some rooted cuttings.
Anyone else ever hear of white blackberries? She says they are not yellow.

My Grapes; some of the grafts surely took, some surely do not look like they took, and several are questionable. I have well over a dozen fresh rootstocks rooted so im not worried about the number. Some of my rooted rootstock will go to the daughter of the owners of a major winery for her to have her first very own row of grapes...that she has seen started from pieces of cuttings.

more in a few minutes

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also plan on having more varieties of Quinoa, and one or 2 more varieties of Amaranth. I received one so far.

There will also be several areas of Appalachian Beans. I can hardly wait to compare the Nickel half runners with the Wide Poddeds that appeared among my Sallee family white greasy beans! Also, to compare the brown speckled cutshorts with the greasy grit cutshort varieties!

The dwarf apple tree project I'm not sure if I'll start that this year, but I sure want to have 2 Dwarf apple trees and graft them with rare heirloom apple varieties, as many as possible. Maybe I'll just get the rootstocks this year and grow them.

So many things I want to grow, but my space, like lots of us, is limited so far. My one goopp garden will likely not happen as Terre is no longer caretaker of that place, unless I am still allowed to grow there. Possibly even as my own. If that happens, the strawberries and Sage there will be improved on, and perhaps a few Tomatoes will be ok. Last I heard, there is still one of his outdoor gophergitter cats there. TGhe active situation there keeps the eagles away, and the Towhees have pretty much left that garden alone. It is fenced only, not topped.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am hoping to get proficient at collecting seeds. A couple of plants I am not sure I will pursue this year ... ie carrots and cauliflower, the harder stuff.

I started onions today. 180 spanish onion seeds. Hoping to put them in a raised hoop bed in feb/mar. Will be letting anything that starts to produce seeds go to seed. :bun

Latest posts