Window + BB = ?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last Sunday evening about 11 PM , we heard a crash coming from our office. Someone shot a BB through our 4' x 5' window. :barnie I called our local Police early Monday morning, so they sent a female police officer who arrived at 8 PM to take a report and take a picture of the damage . I then called Home Depot who have a window sale promotion to get a price quote. They sent out a HD sales representative on 2 PM Tues. afternoon. After he measured the window and took out several brochures to make his presentations ... . he finally entered numbers , etc. into his laptop, then entered the current promotion discounts and he then turned the screen toward me and said that this was the lowest price that he has seen for that type of window. What was this majic number, you ask ... drum roll... $ 1,183.06 :th. So... Renewal by Anderson windows has been advertising their fantastic sale for windows for several days now . I called them and they sent out their representative out this morning. He too did his measuring, presentation then his majic laptop and came up with his discounted sale price and how would I like to pay for it. So, what is this fantastic price you ask? Sit down... $4730.67 :eek: :th:thWhat is intersting beyond the OVERBLOWN PRICE is the fact that neither one would give me a paper quote as what materials will be installed, the cost of labor, taxes or when the window installation was to occur. What they did was send an e-mail to me listing ONLY the total price. Now what is scary at best other than the prices ... how do I know what materials , etc. am I actually getting installed for those $$$s :drool vs what I was presented at the sales pitch ? :he Shady business practices !!! :caf

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
$1186 sounds about right. That is a huge picture window and they charge mightily for that.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good example of why you need to get more than one quote for these things. :thumbsup

Did you ask for a paper or electronic copy you could print off showing materials and all that? I agree you need that. When we got our house roof replaced I go three quotes. I did not take the low quote, I was not satisfied with their materials and how they were going to do it. I didn't want a cheap roof, I wanted one that will last the rest of my life.

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
$1186 sounds about right. That is a huge picture window and they charge mightily for that.
This is NOT a picture window ... just a regular 4' x 5' bedroom window that we use as our office !

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good example of why you need to get more than one quote for these things. :thumbsup

Did you ask for a paper or electronic copy you could print off showing materials and all that? I agree you need that. When we got our house roof replaced I go three quotes. I did not take the low quote, I was not satisfied with their materials and how they were going to do it. I didn't want a cheap roof, I waned one that will last the rest of my life.
I did ask for a paper copy. They both said that the quote will be sent to me via email. All that was the on the email was the dollar amount and NOTHING ELSE. :he

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is NOT a picture window ... just a regular 4' x 5' bedroom window that we use as our office !
It is still a large window. Can't think it is just sitting on floor.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The HD price is outrageous and the Anderson Renewal is outrageous x3. (by the way, Anderson Renewal windows are not very high quality) Windows are usually not difficult to replace if you can match the size. If there is a size difference there is a bit more work involved but certainly not impossible. Good luck.

Man! I hate to see those kind of prices these days. But the cost of running a business is steep nowadays. Taxes, wages, shipping, lawyers, buildings, utilities, communication, product insurance, liability insurance, employee insurance, health insurance, vehicle cost, vehicle maintenance, vehicle insurance, tools and equipment, and the list goes on and on. The consumer pays 100% of these costs plus owner's profit.