2012 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - weigh in by 15 October

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The cucumber beetles are already here and so are the squash bugs. I squished a bunch today and then put my row covers over what I could. My cucumber beetle trap is working really well this year.

6992_166027_376423755745525_349897605_n.jpg

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
desertlady said:
SuperChemicalGirl said:
The cucumber beetles are already here and so are the squash bugs. I squished a bunch today and then put my row covers over what I could. My cucumber beetle trap is working really well this year.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6992_166027_376423755745525_349897605_n.jpg
is this like a regular fly trap? I will like to put a lot around my yard ! I havent got bug problems yet, but when rain comes there will be something out there !
It's a sticky yellow trap. You can make your own, but they're attracted to yellow so make sure there's a bunch of yellow. I bought mine from burpee: http://www.burpee.com/gardening-sup...beetle-trap-prod001803.html?_requestid=449498

I didn't even put the lure on it, mostly cause I got a pack of 2 last year and forgot this year that it had another piece to it.

Emsevers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would like to join the contest. I've never tried to grow giant pumpkins before but I ordered some Atlantic giant seeds this year and thought I would give it a try. I'm pretty excited and can't wait to see how everyone does.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Emsevers said:
I would like to join the contest. I've never tried to grow giant pumpkins before but I ordered some Atlantic giant seeds this year and thought I would give it a try. I'm pretty excited and can't wait to see how everyone does.
Welcome, got you officially added!

bearmanz400

Leafing Out
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl said:
Emsevers said:
Good deal! Another person to slay with my massive pumpkins this year!

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
bearmanz400 said:
SuperChemicalGirl said:
Emsevers said:
Good deal! Another person to slay with my massive pumpkins this year!
You making compost again this year??? ;)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What's the biggest pumpkin everybody has grown?
Mine was 120-odd lbs when the deer punched a hole into it to eat on it. Was the only one I had that year but it was doing great. I kept it watered with a soaker hose and every couple of weeks I'd recompost it with well aged horse manure. Biggest pain was keeping the straw mulch down under the vines to help keep the weeds down.

I didn't do pumpkins this year but I found a volunteer that I'm feeding to see what happens. Next year though I'll have a bunch of them including a number of giants.