2012 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - weigh in by 15 October

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
Well you could just go back to it enough to beat the pants off of us!
Naw, it wouldn't be right. I'll just sit on the sidelines and offer advice. How about a cabbage growing contest? Here is my lovely wife posing with a few:

9500_cabbage_3.jpg

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time studying the soil. I use my soil test results to balance the soil. Most garden plants will grow very well in similar soils as long as there is a good balance. Of course, there are exceptions, like potatoes, which do better in their own soil. Tomatoes will not do well at all in a soil prepped for potatoes due to the lower OM and lower pH that potatoes like. I'm also a believer in some old wives tales, like planting peppers close enough together that their leaves will touch when they grow out will produce more peppers.
Also lots of OM in the form of green manure, compost and compost tea, among other things, helps to create good soil biology. A healthy, living biology helps to grow stronger, bigger plants.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I grew a cabbage that big in my desert garden ! I was so proud to have such big plant and didnt want to eat it !! ( of course we had to with ham and potatoes and was soo good ! )

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is one heck of a feat in the desert! Cabbage is such a water hungry and cool weather plant. Hats off to you!

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
That is one heck of a feat in the desert! Cabbage is such a water hungry and cool weather plant. Hats off to you!
Thank you! I do have picture of it somewhere, I will look for it ! I grew cabbage next to my tomato plant. it helps with shades and watering ! I am going to try again next year !

bearmanz400

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ok, I have given you all the opportunity win the last 2 years, 2013 I will be crowned victorious... so enjoy your spoils this year because I'm bring the winner next season!