2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since we can only water for 20 min twice a week (except for food, where you can water 3x a week), I collect the water from the shower in 5 gal pails. I then stand, fully dressed, on the balcony, 3 stories up from the garden. I use a tupperware bowl to gather and gently toss down to the beans. I no longer shower every day, but DH does. It takes 3 showers before we collect those 5 precious gallons.
I've been collecting the water at the kitchen sink for 15 months and all of it waters my pots out front and out back.

The neighbors are begrudingly used to me hanging the laundry out on the deck and tossing saved water everywhere. Its the golfers on the 12th green that sometimes spy me doing strange things to conserve, grow, etc.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found a copy of The Michigan Bean Cookbook, published by the Michigan Bean Commission, Lansing Michigan. Looks like it was printed a long time ago.

The first person to post on this thread that they want it gets it. I'll ship at my cost. If you see that someone has claimed it, well I only have one copy.

I'll PM the winner to arrange shipping.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning everyone,

I'm glad you enjoyed the picture of me at the Seed Savers Exchange Campout/Conference this past weekend. It was a nice weekend. I stayed in one of the dorms at Luther College. I did a two mile walk of that beautiful campus Saturday and Sunday as I got up around 5 am each morning. I should of had my camera with me. When I took my walk I saw a Doe with her two fawns the first morning. I must have walked within 50 feet of them and they kept their eye on me. Those babies were so cute. Later during my walk I saw those two fawns lying underneath a place where there were 5 birch clumps on the lawn. They were within 10 feet of the sidewalk as I passed by. They didn't run but kept their eye on me once again. Sunday morning I found the two fawns in another place on campus sleeping on the lawn underneath a large tree. I don't know where mother was. I looked around for her but didn't see her.

One of the main speakers on Saturday was long time SSE member Craig LeHoullier who has recently released a book called "Epic Tomatoes". He talked about his gardening journey over the years with his collection of 3,000 tomato varieties.

Sunday I listened to SSE member Rowan White who lives in California. She's a Mohawk woman who told us about her journey of trying to locate and bring back to health the seeds of her people.

Plus rubbing elbows with people I have seen there at the conferences before and meeting some new people. All in all a pretty nice weekend.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
In general, the page after the title page will have the publication date (or copywrite date). On some govenment-type of pamphlets, that info might be found on the back cover.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have your address Russ so I'll get it in the mail.

The Michigan Bean Commission was formed in 1966 through the diligent efforts of Michigan dry edible bean growers, and their desire to se the formation of an organization to promote dry edible beans.

Created by an act of the Michigan legislature, the Michigan Bean Commission is funded solely by bean growers. The primary objectives of the Commission are research and promotion.

No date on it anywhere Red but it looks like an early effort. The above in italics is the cover page.

For anyone interested, here's the website.

http://michiganbean.org/

Latest posts