2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @Tricia77

I got your returned bean seed yesterday. Wow ! Thank you they are all very nice. You did a great job with them. Did you want to name your #34's. You got two different ones out of that one. I think you were the only person who grew them.

You added two new ones. I'm going to put those up on the network pages. Ugandan Bantu and the Pisarecka Zlutoluske. It is a wax bean from Hungary. Where did you come across the Pisarecka Zlutoluske bean. It seems like I ran across that one somewhere on the internet this summer but I can't remember where I've seen it before.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @Tricia77

You added two new ones. I'm going to put those up on the network pages. Ugandan Bantu and the Pisarecka Zlutoluske. It is a wax bean from Hungary. Where did you come across the Pisarecka Zlutoluske bean. It seems like I ran across that one somewhere on the internet this summer but I can't remember where I've seen it before.

Is that Bantu the same one that Richter's was selling? I look forward to seeing the picture, if only to see what colors the seed is (for some reason when I grew it, all of the seed I got back was purple, no matter what color the seed I put in was.)

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm glad they arrived safely. I do plan on naming the #34 beans. I got 4 different beans. I'm not that creative with names, I actually asked my niece and brother for suggestions. I will get back to you about the names. The Pisarecka Zlutoluske beans I purchased from Sandhill and grew this year. They were very prolific bush plants which produced beautiful wax beans. The Ugandan Bantu seeds I received in a trade. The vines were half runners. The colors I got were purple, pink, grey, olive green and black. The original beans I planted were those colors except the black bean was a maroon with white speckles. I noticed a lot of beans I grew this year that had white speckles lost them in my garden this year or were extremely decreased.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Tricia77 I think maybe you sent me 3 of the #34's. The pinto looking one with pods that turn almost all dark purple. Then another packet with brown seeds but the pods turn flamingo pink. Then two more packets that look to me to be about same seed color. The pods turn brown when dry. However you say on one of those packets the seeds are brown and blue. That would be the packet with fewer brown seeds in it. The brown seeded packet that is packed full the seeds look like they have a slight yellowish gold cast to some of the seeds. That would be the fourth one.

You can name beans after the county you live in. Rivers, creeks near where you live. Towns in your county or state. I've named beans after streets even. I found a blacktopped pathway in a cemetary here in my town this summer and I took it's name for a bean name.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@tricia, Yeah that is where I saw the Pisarecka Zlutoluske. I ordered some beans from Sandhill this year too. I grew Kretser Soldier from them this year. The bean has pinkish red solider marking around the eye that has some blue flecks in the soldier figure.

Glen Drowns owns the Sandhill operation. He used to be a SSE member and was on the board there too for a little while. I believe he grew up in Idaho. They had a short growing season and he bred a watermelon that would mature in that climate when he was 16 years old.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner Here is the Ugandan Bantu that Tricia sent. If the the camera made the color true to how they actually are.
IMG_0008[1].JPG

And here is the Squaw beans she sent too.
IMG_0009[1].JPG

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes there are four. The full pack with golden brown seeds and the brown and blue beans make four. Do you think they look blue? As they are drying they aren't as blue. I have some names for them.

I'm calling this one Bubblegum because of the bright pink pods, because flamingo has already been used.

Untitled by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

The next one I am calling Jordan Creek. The community garden I garden at is next to the Jordan Creek. The pods on this one are heavily splashed with purple and then turn almost completely purple when dry. The beans are light brown with darker brown markings similar to a pinto bean.

The third one I am calling Blue Heron. The beans are a mix of brown and blue. The pods are green and turn brown when dry. I like to go for walks along the creek down at the community garden with my dog Emma and often times I see a Blue Heron that lives there. They are so beautiful and so are these beans.

#34 Outcross by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

The fourth bean I am calling Caramel Delight. The color of the beans reminds me of caramel. I love caramel!!!! The pods are green and turn brown when dry.

Ok I did it!!!! I named them all. I hope you guys like the names I picked, if not please give me other suggestions. I take constructive criticism well :)

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm back form a two week trip to Glacier/Yellowstone and then a trip for my Granddaughter's birthday so my beans have had time to dry. I'll show the two named varieties I grew for Russ but I still have a lot to do to sort the numbered ones. I'll get after them soon. Tricia, I understand about names. I think I have some good ones but right now I don't even know how many I need.

KP Beans.JPG

Kutasi Princess

I planted 10 seeds, all ten grew and produced. Pole beans about 6 to 7 feet height. The blossom has a white keel and wings but the banner was a dark pink. The pods were flat solid pale green, about 4 seeds per pod on average. The pods were pretty easy to hull. I planted the first beans April 27 and they were blooming by June 10. I’d call that fairly early. They put on a lot of pods, mostly fairly low.

MP Beans.JPG

Malawi Pinto

I planted 10 seeds, all ten grew and produced. These raced to the top of my 12’ high trellis and went looking for more room. The blossom has a white keel and wings with a light yellow standard. The pods were flat solid green and pretty long, maybe 8 to 9 inches. They had about 6 seeds per pod average. The dried beans were horrible to hull. The pod twisted and shrunk to a point you had to break each seed out individually. It was difficult to tell if there was a bean at each seed point worth going after until you broke it open. Often there was but it did not feel like it through the dried pod. I planted the first beans April 27 and they were blooming by July 8. After they started blooming it took a while before they started setting pods. I call that kind of late. After they did start thought they put on a lot of pods, fairly spread out but mostly high.

I have these packaged up and ready to mail this afternoon.

@baymule asked how these two produced. Knowing Bay she probably wants me to count out the number of beans but she's out of luck. She'll have to count them herself from these photos. :duc
Bay, these are from ten plants before I separated the 60 out for Russ. That's a pint jar.

MP Quantity.JPG
KP Quantiry.JPG

Just for fun I'll show my drying area. it's on top of a table with metal legs in my workshop, pushed away from anything mice could climb on and jump to keep the seeds safe from them. I ran out of coffee cans so I made a drying rack with 2x4's and window screen.

Drying Area 1.JPG
Drying Area 2.JPG

Latest posts