2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know how I missed this...
@Zeedman are Agate soy much different from Cha Kura Kake? the CKK's did well enough here i will be growing them again this coming season and by doing well i mean the survived repeated eating of all the tops and leaves off and still had some kind of a crop. these were grown inside the fenced gardens.
Although I have data on Agate, my one attempt to grow it was old seed from a trade, and it failed to germinate. In terms of seed coat colors they are very similar. Cha Kura Kake is listed as being slightly later & having larger seeds, while Agate is slightly earlier (the most northern Maturity Group) with smaller seeds, but a slightly higher yield. Both have a higher protein content than most of the large-seeded green varieties (about 46%). I hope to grow Agate in 2022, if I am successful in replenishing my older soybean varieties this year.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77[/USER] I see a bean in your 'window' called 'Nigel', do you think there is a possible relation between this one and that bean? 'Nigel' is a P. vulgaris right?

Yes Nigel is P. Vugaris. Since your bean traces back to Tarahumara origin Nigel and your bean could have some realation. Nigel I know did come from a grower in Califronia. Tarahumara people are northern Mexico I believe. So both beans are in the neighborhood.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No, @heirloomgal those seeds are epigeal (the cotyledons emerge); runner beans are hypogeal (the cotyledons remain below ground).

I thought it'd be fun to join this bean forum, and it is, but holy mackerel, I've also learned so many things already. I had no idea how much more there was to know about beans and legume growing in general. @Zeedman your technical knowledge of legumes, and insight into growing them, is remarkable.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
A beautiful packet of beans grown for me by Decoy Farm in the UK. Thank you ! "Ernie's Big Eye" (bush dry) just like I first saw them when I acquired them from John Withee's Wanigan Associates in 1978. I haven't found the soil around here yet that makes them look like this. Artorius's soil will make EBE look like this and they will grow like this all over the New England States U.S.A. too.

Ernie's Big Eye 😍
Ernie's Big Eye 2020.jpg

Some nice looking "Purple Amazon" (semi runner) grown by a Network Grower in Iowa. This young man is working for his PHD in agronomy. He grew and turned in 30 Network beans during his summer off from his university studies.

Purple Amazon😁
purple-amazon-2020.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts