2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since it is clear that this has the wrong name (everyone online seems to have pointed this out), let's start correcting this now. Black Kail is an URD or URAD bean, not a mung bean (It's Vinga mungo, not Vinga radiata. And yes, I know it's confusing that the one that isn't a mung bean has the species name mungo, but that's the way it is.)
That confusion was probably caused by the SSE member in Colorado who listed it as "Mung, Black Kali Gram". He also ran a seed company, so even non-SSE members might have obtained it listed that way. Mine were obtained from him, and I know the name is confusing at best... but I I too still list it that way. For SSE, it is expected that when you obtain seed from another member, that it is relisted exactly the same - regardless of possible error - to maintain the chain of custody. A PITA I know; the adzuki I grew last year was confirmed by a Japanese speaker to be misspelled, but I can't get SSE to correct it. They did correct all of the soybean typos though, when I provided documentation.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That confusion was probably caused by the SSE member in Colorado who listed it as "Mung, Black Kali Gram". He also ran a seed company, so even non-SSE members might have obtained it listed that way. Mine were obtained from him, and I know the name is confusing at best... but I I too still list it that way. For SSE, it is expected that when you obtain seed from another member, that it is relisted exactly the same - regardless of possible error - to maintain the chain of custody. A PITA I know; the adzuki I grew last year was confirmed by a Japanese speaker to be misspelled, but I can't get SSE to correct it. They did correct all of the soybean typos though, when I provided documentation.
Then we really do need to pressure them to correct this as well. A mistake in spelling can theoretically be seen through and corrected by the grower, but listing something as being more or less the wrong species is just going to cause trouble, not only in cases of potential allergen (I knew a teacher in college who would get an allergic reaction if the dust on urd bean seed coats got on his hands.) but in blurring the line between the two. Not to mention what is going to happen when someone (probably me, given what I do) actually FINDS a black mung bean (if there are ones that have black mottling, there are probably ones that are completely black. I know there are for moth beans.) It'll be like when I try and talk about "Black Eyed Susan" (the pea, not the flower) or peas like it and realize I can't use the term "black eyed pea" because it now means something else.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you eat these fancy beans or do you just collect them?
I've moved to where I can no longer grow beans. That post was just showing what I had grown. I have sent samples of all my beans to @Bluejay77 so he can distribute them to whoever wants to try to grow them.

To answer your question, I was growing enough to try to stabilize new varieties and would save enough for that. The excess were eaten.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've moved to where I can no longer grow beans. That post was just showing what I had grown. I have sent samples of all my beans to @Bluejay77 so he can distribute them to whoever wants to try to grow them.

To answer your question, I was growing enough to try to stabilize new varieties and would save enough for that. The excess were eaten.
That's fascinating! Do they all taste different?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mountain White Half-Runner ‘60’ done! ✅
344AAB0F-1F48-411B-9463-23E31DB75644.jpeg

Dwarf Shield ‘60’ done! ✅
1E3C576B-B7F3-47F0-9516-AAB4122DDC88.jpeg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dead Mans Tooth ’60’ done! ✅
I was worried having only planted 3 plants around a pole, and they turned out to be bush beans instead! 🤣 Luckily, the bushes were wonderfully healthy and productive and I got more than enough. All the seeds turned out really well too. I’m having great luck this year!
D2B5D68E-D9DE-4364-B3C5-5CD06D00648D.jpeg

Crevette Kidney ’60’ done! ✅
Hot pink pods, zebra seeds. 🦩🦓
070ADAF7-4D46-4EEA-AEB7-3D68A8B63F23.jpeg

Mangetout Pleine Panier ‘60’ done! ✅
B65BA2D9-E468-4F31-8C87-7C94EB433189.jpeg

Found this bean in the Lusaka row. 😲
I once found a cross in the network bean Bamberger Blaue, and the colour was exactly like this. Either it’s a common outcrossed look, or a wierd coincidence.
46496DCF-ACA0-4620-8763-323A59F0EC7C.jpeg

Couple other random beans that have dried. So fun!

Mrs. Kahl
Quite different from Hutterite Soup beans; these are less glossy, bigger and have a more tan & matte finish. They shell out really nice. Size of the beans is a little variable.
A6E5B346-8027-4373-870B-FC19B29A7E2C.jpeg

Theresa’s Pink Portugal
I think this bean may have originated with Mandy in Manitoba. I thought I read that she received it from a co-worker.
97F66D0F-7BFD-4A68-9AA4-BC2650CB3D90.jpeg

So so difficult to take photos of Prince Purple. All the dark beans are hard really. Just love the purple beans. I didn’t think Koronis Purple could be topped but this may be the purple champ.🥊
27D782FC-166B-40CF-B29D-F5E76ED7683E.jpeg
F0F1CDD7-8CC8-4A3C-A41F-E52DAB09F552.jpeg

European bean Llaminera.
This bean did really well too, lots of pods and early to boot. I love the pink & burgundy combination. Reminds me a little of Rotebeerbohne.
4C0FF4E5-0A3F-4D9F-BF07-57F1D6538F36.jpeg

Quebecois bean Saint Sacrament. Nice story to go with this one, along the same lines as the Monstrance beans. A wax bean for fresh eating though.
9593474E-2AE0-4421-8470-410519D76D3F.jpeg

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was worried having only planted 3 plants around a pole, and they turned out to be bush beans instead! 🤣 Luckily,
Found this bean in the Lusaka row. 😲
I may have had the packet for Dead Man's Tooth marked as a pole. Artur I think reported as a bush and somewhere along the line I got around to changing that piece of information on the website.

The Lusaka outcross is a common pattern of a lot of the older snap beans. This color reminds me of Topcrop. Looks like there is a little hint of lavender or purple in some of those Lusaka outcross seeds.

Lusaka Outcross
Lusaka Outcross.jpeg

Topcrop - Bush Snap
topcrop-2012.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Lusaka outcross is a common pattern of a lot of the older snap beans. This color reminds me of Topcrop. Looks like there is a little hint of lavender or purple in some of those Lusaka outcross seeds.

Lusaka Outcross
View attachment 60231
Topcrop - Bush Snap
View attachment 60232

yes, it's a common pattern i've seen myself in many out-crosses.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quebecois bean Saint Sacrament. Nice story to go with this one, along the same lines as the Monstrance beans. A wax bean for fresh eating though.View attachment 60228

a very common pattern in wax beans. one of those i'd grown for many years is called Top Notch and that was my first experience. i had really good results with them and considered them my staple wax bean but in recent years i've gotten away from growing it. Purple Dove became my goto fresh bean and also a bulk dry bean so i like the dual purpose and the purple flowers more than Top Notch. i always looked for crosses but never had found any of those.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Top Notch. i always looked for crosses but never had found any of those.

this is not quite right as i did get Pheasant and Spotted Pheasant which came via Top Notch.

i have purple on the brain...

i went out to pick beans, but first there were some things i had to help Mom with, to say the least i ended up finding some Henbit that had spread and so i spent some time weeding that, then i noticed two other gardens were full of weeds so i weeded those, then i found more weeds in a pathway and weeded those and then found some more Henbit and ... then i got the trimmings from tomatoes buried and watered that garden because i'd transplanted some creeping thyme and then i moved the rocks Mom needed moved and then i came in because i was tired and it had gotten too hot. rested a few minutes and had brunch and then got the tomatoes we'd peeled this morning in jars and into the oven to seal up. those should be done in about a half hour.

i guess i pick beans tomorrow morning instead... :)

yesterday i did get four boxes of beans picked and sorted through those. i'd like to shell them out but i don't think i will get to them today - this is the busy season when i start stacking up bean pods in paper bags to keep dry until i can get around to shelling them out.

Last edited:

Latest posts