30 Days and not a single granule of artificial fertilizer.......

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
....NOTHING but homemade compost.........

6615_904.jpg

6615_419a.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
A little additional rotted manure, more compost, some bone meal, and some fish enulsion, and a small box of kelp meal that'll last a long time. Everything the garden soil ever needs for maintenance.

bone meal has 5 15 0, some brands are 1 15 0. It's the slow acting kind. I tested it, and it is hard to over dose with bone meal, but why try that, it only wastes it. Bone meal really makes the soil good.

Fish emulsion has different numbers on each brand, but is good with faster acting nutrients. It's mixed with water. Once mixed right the smell is not strong. I find that using it at one fourth the dilution strength for seedlings is all that is needed. Just using it that way every other watering is great for good healthy quick growth.

The other way I use fish emulsion is when I am working up a bed for planting to feed the soil. Doing this, I use it at double strength one time a few days before planting. Splashed lightly on the soil. Just seems that right away the soil is healthier. Especially if the bone meal was mixed in the soil first.

The Kelp meal that comes in a 4 pound box is 0 0 3. A little goes a long way. It does not take much "vitamin K" in most soil, especially good composty soil.

Bone meal has other nutrients in it, mainly Calcium. For most garden plants Calcium is needed more than Potassium though both are important. Fish Emulsion has lots of the macro and micro nutrients in it, plus I understand, has proteins and enzymes in it that are good for plant growth. The Kelp also has some natural growth hormones in it. Kelp is ashed seaweed, so some has been burned off, but it'll also have small amounts of other nutrients.

=====

I've gone all through the circle of trying modern nutrients, and decided these 3 are all that's needed for the most part and cost a lot less. If I ever do get some expensive hydroponic scientific nutrient it'll only ever get used very little.

Over the years I've tried blood meal. nah. too strong, hard to mix down in the soil, plus bone meal has the N in it that is all that's needed.

I used to use osmocote. even did last year. Now that I found a source for 50 pound bags of bone meal i have no need for it. There for awhile I thought bone meal had been taken off the market. If it ever is it'll be time to do some fixing!

Latest posts