A Perennial Kale

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't get it about Kale. It's like eating cardboard.

You haven't had good Kale then, good Kale should be quite easy to eat and have a pleasant flavor and some sweetness if exposed to cool enough conditions.
Most of the stuff I find at even the good grocery stores here is just bland tough rubbish.

I first saw this on "The Victorian Vegetable Garden", and thought I'd like to try it so bought seed for Crambe maritima the real sea kale this spring, said to be a little difficult to germinate I was quite pleased that out of the 15 seeds I planted I got 12 plants. Now the waiting game, I want to try covering to blanch the stems and cook like asparagus when the plants are big enough.

Description from Victoriana Nursery Gardens....

"Seakale long predates Victorian times and was once very popular, however doesn't seem to be so widely available now. It is sometimes grown as an ornamental vegetable but is edible.
The blanched shoots, young flower heads and very young leaves can be eaten raw or the leaf midribs cooked and eaten like Asparagus; forced Seakale is also a real delicacy.
It is best if picked and eaten, rather than stored."

Annette

Annette there is obscure place here that sells Sea Kale seed and it is actually easy to germinate like you have learned.
It likes full sun and can be grown in the ground or as a container plant but much like Asparagus you need to let it build up a decent energy reserve and not over harvest.
It is more a delicacy that must be savored than anything unless you are willing to grow a lot of plants.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Hal I don't plan on using it for a couple of years, that is if I live so long :). I also have a dozen skirret plants, it will also be a couple of years before they'll be usable. I'm hoping to get a taste from the yacon and oca I'm also growing when harvested this fall. Love trying something new, keeps life interesting.
Annette

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Hal I don't plan on using it for a couple of years, that is if I live so long :). I also have a dozen skirret plants, it will also be a couple of years before they'll be usable. I'm hoping to get a taste from the yacon and oca I'm also growing when harvested this fall. Love trying something new, keeps life interesting.
Annette

Until it is ready to harvest it will at least make a stunning ornamental plant. It is too pretty to eat I think :)

Latest posts