Advice using a 4 tier greenhouse.

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've never used a greenhouse to start seeds. I bought this 5ft tall, 27" wide, 19" deep greenhouse from tractor supply. Any advice on getting started? Pros, cons ect. I was thinking of keeping the doorway open during the day facing away from the sun. Any advice would be welcome. If you think the greenhouse is crap I don't mind you telling me.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have one about like that. I start seeds in flats. Sometimes I use the 72 peat pellets or the other kind that holds 50. I turn the flats length way and can get 3 on each shelf. I bought lights and put 2 grow lights above each shelf. Seeds sprout fast and I am find until I have to transplant and then I have trouble finding places to finish growing plants. We have a spare bathroom with a window and I put a table in there and lights, but I had the lights too high up, so I am going to try to fix that. I should just go buy another greenhouse.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm thinking the tricky part with these smaller greenhouses like you're describing is the temperature regulation. You'll definitely be wanting the doorway open on sunny warm days, the tricky part will be knowing how warm is TOO warm, and adjusting accordingly. That's especially hard if you have to figure out how to adjust the door flap early in the morning before its warmed up, then you head off to work for the day hoping your seedlings will be ok, and not get too hot or too cold! Its a little easier if you're home during the day, and can make adjustments as needed, but not everyone has that luxury :) a wireless digital thermometer, with the readout inside the house, is helpful for monitoring the temp in there without having to run outside all the time!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's what I started with, I still have it. I used it in the house, I got some cheap flourescent lights and attached them to shelves and used them in the house at first. Now I use it on my front porch to harden my plants. It orignally came with a plastic cover which is in pretty rough shape after all these years. Last year I bought another one that I use on the patio and it has a nice cover (because it's new). I start my plants inside under lights, move them to the greenhouse on the porch which is shaded to hardened them then they go to the greenhouse on the patio which is in the sun and covered to keep the heat in until they can go to the garden.

I just got a real greenhouse and I am going to move my new one into the greenhouse so I can have the shelves and the cover. I really like both of them and like I said I have had it for years. I hope you enjoy your greenhouse.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
That's what I started with, I still have it. I used it in the house, I got some cheap flourescent lights and attached them to shelves and used them in the house at first. Now I use it on my front porch to harden my plants. It orignally came with a plastic cover which is in pretty rough shape after all these years. Last year I bought another one that I use on the patio and it has a nice cover (because it's new). I start my plants inside under lights, move them to the greenhouse on the porch which is shaded to hardened them then they go to the greenhouse on the patio which is in the sun and covered to keep the heat in until they can go to the garden.

I just got a real greenhouse and I am going to move my new one into the greenhouse so I can have the shelves and the cover. I really like both of them and like I said I have had it for years. I hope you enjoy your greenhouse.
I think I will get another one for my front porch to harden in the shade and we are going to turn the swing set into a greenhouse and it will be in the sun, so I can move them from the porch to the swing set greenhouse. I have had mine since 2009 and just the front cover zippers are messed up, but if I want it closed at night I put a blanket over the front.

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I can't wait to try getting some seedling started. I've been thinking of getting some lights going for it instead of it being outside. I just don't know how many lumens I will need or anything. The heat here in the Texas panhandle will be my main enemy. It also changes real quick too! Any ideas on how many bulbs I need per shelf? Does Walmart sell short floresant bulbs that plug Into a socket?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have two and I love them for starting seedlings. I keep mine in the basement until they are growing well then move them up to the sun room. I have 2 ft. florescent light fixtures mounted to the bottom of the top three shelves and one attached to the middle brace on top all connected with an outlet strip.

Bought the fixtures at a 'Home Depot" type of store.

Love, Smart Red

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just moved my 4 tier greenhouse with cover into my Harbor Freight greenhouse. It is in there protecting my tomatoes. I will need to get a themometer to check the temps inside the cover. I am very excited about seeing how they do.

Latest posts