Airborne Onions

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
downsize_zps0b23daa5.jpg

This is what happens when you take the nice full kale and broccoli seedlings out of one end of a flat and think you have thereby removed a great deal of weight ...
smiley_looney.gif

Setting the flat on the edge of the bench, the "light" half hanging over ... the result: The flat and all of its onion seedlings end up, falling to the floor, upside down!

:confused: Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only a small section had sufficient roots to hold the soil together. For the most part, onions and soil became a mix, a blend.

Since they are like dog hairs, or something, they will just have to sort themselves out. With the first watering, I'm afraid some under the soil will "give up the ghost." (Something else, Mom would say.

Oh well, they are 1 of 2 that I'm trying . this year. They join standby Tokyo While as the bunching heirloom onion trio! I don't care much for Tokyo White so I'm hoping that one of these will do okay. Gallop is no longer easily available from Osborne Seed.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A nice, double handful of seedlings weighs close to nothing. Maybe their weight is equivalent to a tablespoon or two of wet potting soil.

Taking the kale & such out of the flat - that side just looked empty.

When my brain comes to a stop because of methodical tasks and repetition, I'm easily fooled. Can't even trust my own imagination ... but, we all knew that, didn't we ;) ?

The onion seedlings already look better altho' I don't know how many I'm not seeing. There was no turning 'em over and dusting off their knees. Most of the soil was just scooped up and dumped back in the tray.

Steve

Latest posts