All Primrose Perennial ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whole foods had potted primrose marked down to $1. I picked up 4 thinking I would plant in garden this spring. On the way home I started thinking how there where " Florist" mums and hydrangea that are only meant to be enjoyed while in flower then kept as house plant. Label says Primula, if perennial for zone 5 I want to go back for more. DSCF0453.JPG

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
These primrose better to buy before planting in the ground. They do not like to grow up in the house. It must be cool and light room. The ones I bought in the winter, too, died. Another primula spring I bought and planted in the ground. They hibernate for many years.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe all primroses are perennials but some are not hardy in my zone 5. The ones you show there look a lot like the ones in my shade garden. Mine have been growing and going strong for well over a dozen years. I have added several other colors since taking this photo.
primrose.JPG

The primroses are flowering at the front center of the shade garden -- right in front of the middle tree.
Shade garden center.JPG

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree Red look the same, if it was closer to spring I would go buy more at that price. Right now they are being use to help hide how bad my meyers lemon is doing.DSCF0454.JPG

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH and I stopped to breath at my favorite garden center. They had primroses there as well -- new and beautiful colors I'd not seen in primroses. I asked -- just for Nyboy, of course -- and was told all that type of primrose was hardy in our zone. So, when some lovely plants jumped into my basket, what could I do but take them home?

As Larisa stated, they will have a hard time growing inside until the weather is good for them outside. Even in the greenhouse they have trouble keeping the primroses alive and well until they can be planted outside. They are super hardy for me and are still green although frozen.

I don't know how Nyboy will handle his plants, but mine are going into the sun room. Quite cool at night and nary a draft.

I also found a new-to-me variety of cape primroses that carry their fragrant blooms on 8 inch stems. Of course, they wanted to stay with their shorter friends and came home with me as well. Photos tomorrow. I'm all ready for bed after DH and his washing up playtime.
Pretty shade bed @Smart Red !
Thanks, thistlebloom. It is my "pride and joy" garden since I did all the work planning, digging, tilling, planting, building it myself. In the past my projects began with "as soon as DH does [blank] I can do the rest" and, of course, [blank] is most of the hard work. This project was mine from start to finish and I am so very proud of it. Shade plants are a favorite of mine -- a good thing as I live in the woods.