All Those Green Tomatoes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW was just this morning talking about making a sandwich spread. I think she'd prefer not to do any cooking today. I'm up for a BLT but can reach the blender on the top shelf ... I wonder ...

So Lucky, about that salsa, I did a Google search of "salsa verde" "green tomatoes" - with the quotation marks. NYtimes, food dot com, and Ball canning were at the top.

And, here is something else: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/green-tomato-soup-230446
Steve

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I usually make a Chutney..lots of recipes for them on the internet. Similar to relish, but a tad spicier.

Try putting the green ones in a plastic bag with a couple of apples to quicken the ripening. Pears work as well, as they also give off ethylene gas. Commercial growers use ethylene to ripen fruit, but apples, pears, and a few other fruits give it off naturally. Just keep an eye on them, so they don't rot.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, all, for the suggestions. They are still on the vine, ripening there--at least the ones that don't split too bad.

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Make some green tomato soup! Or, how about some green tomato jam?.. I ended up making 5 pints..Yummy

012.JPG

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow!

I would have never thought of some of these:

65 Recipes for how to use and preserve GREEN tomatoes

There is even a Green Tomato and Jalapeno Jam!

Steve
Thank you for the link Steve. I see lots of interesting green tomato recipes.. I will go through it a bit more when I have more time..

Her recipe for green tomato jam is similar to mine except I omit the ginger, add vanilla bean, and fresh lime juice and grated lime peel in place of the lemon juice. And, I leave the seeds in the tomatoes... :)

Latest posts