Allergies to Avoid

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know that I have any strong allergies to garden plants.

Walking through tall corn that brushes against bare arms can fairly quickly become irritating. That might be a very common reaction and, perhaps, a common experience with many plants and the larger the plant, the stronger the reaction. Sunflowers are that way for me. I don't want to have too much to do with them.

I just woke up from a dream where I was with several unknown people. We were surrounded with harvested, perennial baby's breath and they were bringing in more annual baby's breath and it's Oh No!

We might like them but it's only from a distance. In your garden or while visiting other's, do you take pains to avoid some plants?

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... In your garden or while visiting other's, do you take pains to avoid some plants?

unfortunately i have to, lilacs are really bad for me, almost all other flowering plants can be suspect, so i have to verify first. lavender is also not the best for me but i can at least tolerate small doses of it. right now the daffodils are the strongest scented flower out there that i have to moderate my exposure. we have so many that also adds to their potentcy.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did not move from middle America to get away from Kochia (tumble weed) but it sure was a blessing to be rid of! Up here I react to birch pollen, and live in a Birch forest!

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pollen?

I think many of us miss allergies to grass pollen. Grass flowers are easy to overlook and and the pollen count goes up everywhere!

I say this partly to justify taking out 300 square feet of lawn in 2024.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did not move from middle America to get away from Kochia (tumble weed) but it sure was a blessing to be rid of! Up here I react to birch pollen, and live in a Birch forest!

and that sure does come down thick too. there are a lot of trees around (and some i react to). the maple is the one that seems to get me the worst. there's one right along the north hedge and most years when i'm out in the gardens and it is pollinating my nose is running like a faucet. when i come inside i rinse out my sinuses and wash my face and that clears it up within a few minutes. i just always hope for the wind going in that direction to blow it all the other way.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pollen?

I think many of us miss allergies to grass pollen. Grass flowers are easy to overlook and and the pollen count goes up everywhere!

I say this partly to justify taking out 300 square feet of lawn in 2024.

:) yes, grasses get me too. some of them bloom here even in the winter if it is nice enough outside. i just pulled some of them out of the edge of a garden where they were growing like weeds and they already had developed seeds on them...

the more regular grasses seem to bloom about the same time as the dandelions here and then the various ones come along later (including the quack grass).

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know that I have any strong allergies to garden plants.

Walking through tall corn that brushes against bare arms can fairly quickly become irritating. That might be a very common reaction and, perhaps, a common experience with many plants and the larger the plant, the stronger the reaction. Sunflowers are that way for me. I don't want to have too much to do with them.

I just woke up from a dream where I was with several unknown people. We were surrounded with harvested, perennial baby's breath and they were bringing in more annual baby's breath and it's Oh No!

We might like them but it's only from a distance. In your garden or while visiting other's, do you take pains to avoid some plants?

Steve
My mom gets really bad allergies when cutting fresh rosemary. She grows so much she sends me boxes of it, but she has to wear a mask.

Latest posts