Alpine Strawberries....?

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
...anyone have experience growing them? any tips?

This past year I got a couple Alexandria Alpine Strawberries to grow from seeds that I ordered from Johnny's. One did well in a container and I even got to enjoy a few fruits from it this fall before the snow started flying. Since they are hardy to zone 5 I decided to put it in the ground over the winter...we'll see how it does! :fl

I got Pinetree's catalog and they have Yellow Wonder and White Soul, which I am planning on ordering. Has anyone tried these varieties?

From what I hear it sounds like they reseed well. :rolleyes: I would like to keep them year-round in containers...but they are supposedly hardy to zone 5, and since I'm in zone 5, would it be risky to overwinter them in the containers?

Any tips would be appreciated. :coolsun

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have Alpine strawberries, and planning on more this year. Haven't tried those two varieties, I have Alexandria and was planning "Golden Alexandria" for spring.

Mine don't get quite so cold as yours, but they do fine outside and tolerate a reasonable amount of shade. Yes, they re-seed well: this summer I found some plants about 100 feet away from the first batch I planted, probably carried there by birds. Don't make runners though.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
I have Alpine strawberries, and planning on more this year. Haven't tried those two varieties, I have Alexandria and was planning "Golden Alexandria" for spring.

Mine don't get quite so cold as yours, but they do fine outside and tolerate a reasonable amount of shade. Yes, they re-seed well: this summer I found some plants about 100 feet away from the first batch I planted, probably carried there by birds. Don't make runners though.
Thanks Rosalind. How long have you had yours?

I like the fact they don't make runners....but if they reseed like crazy...hmmm....i dunno which is worse? :p Oh well...guess I just have to try it and see how things go.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Couple of years. I would not say they reseed like crazy. They reseed tolerably in a fairly minor way: planted four plants in 2008, they became about six plants by end of 2009. But then again, I have mine in a fairly shady spot, so maybe with more sun they'd be more aggressive? Don't know. They make a nice little ground cover under fruit trees.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Couple of years. I would not say they reseed like crazy. They reseed tolerably in a fairly minor way: planted four plants in 2008, they became about six plants by end of 2009. But then again, I have mine in a fairly shady spot, so maybe with more sun they'd be more aggressive? Don't know. They make a nice little ground cover under fruit trees.
That's interesting that they do fine in some shade. Are they still fairly productive without a lot of sun?
I've heard from others that they make good border plants too. That's a good idea to put them under fruit trees! :)

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Define "fairly" :p I'm trying to remember, maybe 2-3 strawberries/day? A little handful (about 1/4 cup) per week from six plants, so I added more plants in 2009. In number of berries, about the same number I ever get out of the regular strawberries, my soil is really clayey. It's just that the Alpine ones are small compared to the regular strawberries. Does that make sense?

Yeah, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Then I had to pollinate and pick and walk the dogs in the orchard with berries squashing underfoot. Fortunately, the chickens found a weak spot in the wire of their run, so they escaped and ate all the berries for me, which solved the squishing/red spots on dog issue for two weeks. In retrospect, the border thing might have been a better idea, yanno? :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Caleb, I will vouch for Alexandria's ability to survive and thrive. I started a whole mess of plants in the greenhouse from seed one year. They went into a location with afternoon shade from a board fence - but they are on their way to a sunnier location - all, on their own!

I haven't found any 100 feet away yet but they are invading the lawn. No herbicide has been used on the lawn for the 15 years that I've been tending it. I'm out with a dandelion weeder to keep those things in check but am rather dismayed :/ with the lawn violets . . . after their very early, very pretty blooms are finished.

The alpine strawberries creeping out into the lawn grass causes me no concern whatsoever. The chickens and sparrows must find their berries. Once in awhile, I see something tiny and red down there in the grass ;).

Steve

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Define "fairly" :p I'm trying to remember, maybe 2-3 strawberries/day? A little handful (about 1/4 cup) per week from six plants, so I added more plants in 2009. In number of berries, about the same number I ever get out of the regular strawberries, my soil is really clayey. It's just that the Alpine ones are small compared to the regular strawberries. Does that make sense?

Yeah, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Then I had to pollinate and pick and walk the dogs in the orchard with berries squashing underfoot. Fortunately, the chickens found a weak spot in the wire of their run, so they escaped and ate all the berries for me, which solved the squishing/red spots on dog issue for two weeks. In retrospect, the border thing might have been a better idea, yanno? :lol:
Haha, well....sounds like they're 'fairly productive' in shade. I did get some fruits this fall so I do realize they are smaller than your stereotypical strawberry. ;) and LOL about finding little red spots on the dog! :gig

Thanks for the input Steve! I saw you posted something about Alpine strawberries in a thread recently so I figured I should ask about them...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
cwhit590,

I was interested in getting some more alpine strawberries in my garden this spring. Were you going to plant seeds or the plants? And were you thinking about getting the usual red ones or the yellow/white types?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I have seen them growing prolifically in the woods in Norway where winters are very long & very cold, They certainly reseed fast & enjoy being grown with some shade.

Good luck & happy New Year. :D

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts