Am I the first hillbilly??? Wee-doggies!! ~WV~

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ramps are a wild onion thing that only grow wild in the forests. The leaf is relatively broad for the onion family. They almost look like lily of the valley. (The leaves anyway). Towns have ramp festivals and ramp suppers. If anybody in your family goes, you had better go too and eat some too, otherwise their breath will kill you. I recently saw an entire article in some fancy cooking magazine about ramps. Was it Martha Stewart or Bon Appetit? I can't remember, but I was shocked to see this hillbilly delicacy in that magazine!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
laurenlulu said:
Hey! I sent you a PM Beekissed, I'm in Martinsburg WV. Where in the panhandle do you live?

I have an acre and a half on a mixed use road... We bought our house from my husbands grandmother when his grandfather passed away. His grandfather was retired and spent almost ALL his time gardening, so I've got a lot of catching up to do. I didn't touch anything the first two years we lived here, and we've been here almost 4. I'm slowly trying to restore all the flower beds, but my veggie garden is what I really care about.

WVSheila- I saw someone on craigslist around ehre selling ramps... I really dont know what they are :hu
Got your PM, Lauren! ;) Ramps are a wild scallion and quite the rage here in the mountains! I can't believe someone hasn't forced a few down your throat by now..... :rolleyes: The flavor is good in cooking things, my folks like them raw. The smell is pure toxic...it actually seeps out of one's pores! :sick

We used to live in Tucker Co. when I was young and they closed school each year for a week for the ramp harvest because the smell was so rank! :lol:

wvsheila

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I grew up in Michigan and moved here years ago, I like to cook and ramps add a nice flavor to foods (in Moderation) I can"t eat them raw but love them cooked in soups, stews, potatoes and the likes. I dry them and freeze a few but I would like to can a few for grilled veggies I do on the grill in the summer. Can't wait for summer!!!!!!

Up-the-Creek

Sprout
Reaction score
Hey there! Newbie hillbilly here! I am from the south eastern part of the state, about a 15 minute drive from the state fair grounds. Not born here, but raised here. I am married to a wonderful man for 14 years, we have two kids, one boy and one girl. We have a small place, working on making it into a full fledged farm again. We have 30 chickens, 4 dogs, and 1 cat. This year we planted a very large garden and enjoying every minute of it. :watering

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the place, Up the Creek! :woot Hey, slide on over to the SS forum, link at the bottom of the page, for another great site. :)

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Up-the-Creek!

You will love this site and learn so much.

For the WV people I will be traving to Maysville, WV at the end of June. It is only for the weekend which really stinks.

Angie :rainbow-sun

Latest posts