Am I the only nutbag who does this?

beth1966

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi, all! A project I've been working on is to make a notebook of what is already in my yard, stuff planted before we bought the house and stuff we've added since. We are in a heavy deer area so have to watch what we put out. Anyway, my notebook is pictures I've taken of our plantings, with a blurb next to each one about what it is, care needs, blooming times, how/when to prune, etc... I have each one numbered with a corresponding diagram of the yard so that I know what/where everything is. When the time comes, I plan to leave it behind for the new owners. I also have learned to pay attention to what grows well in other yards around here. I couldn't begin to list all the stuff I've lost to deer over the years just because of my ignorance! Hope this is helpful to someone.

akyramoto

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
my best friend does the EXACT same thing. except she has like 10 books full!!!!

Pakalana

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've done this for years with plants and decorating. I just found one from when I was 16, interesting how my taste has changed.

I keep mine in a 3 ring binder in page protectors, it covers plants to recipes. I'm still figuring out what grows best, so I keep notes on variety, when it went in, weather and temps, bloom/production time and duration and whether or not we liked it. I have a section in there for things I need to get and where I'm going to put it (have a diagram as well) . One side bonus of this, if dh he doesn't have to guess anymore. ;)

country freedom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I also keep all my ideas, tips, pics of plants, info, etc. in my yard file. I also have a file for my house, one for rabbits, one for fowl, one for guinea pigs, and one for my flower/vegie/fruit garden. :rose :dance My family kinda thinks I went overboard, but I just showed them this thread - HA! I am not weird! I'm well organized! :rainbow-sun

Lady_Irish

Sprout
Reaction score
I do this with almost everything! I'm a major note and list maker! I have a notebook with pasted (actually I use tape but whatever!) pics for gardens (including ponds), house ideas, interior decorating ideas, homeschooling ideas, and also one for landscaping! My hubby thinks I'm crazy but he's really thankful when he doesn't get what I'm describing and I can go to one of my notebooks and show him a pic! :D

The Mustard Seed Gardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Doesn't everyone?? :tools

Carri said:
I just spent a good three, three and a half hours examining my Sunset Western Garden book, cutting pictures out of magazines and taping them inside a garden journal. And of course, I wrote notes next to each picture (what variety it is, where I should plant it, etc).
I see all these great ideas inside my magazines, but I have a hard time collecting my thoughts when I'm at the nursery!! Not only that, but I can't lug a stack of Better Homes and Martha Stewart magazines... I'll break my back. And, sometimes I'll see a garden or a picture that really inspires me, but I can't find it when I go back to look for it.
Anyone else do this?

Running off to the garden center with my OCD notebook...

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
To pass the winter, I have the kids cut out pictures of the things I plan on putting in the garden. Then we collect sticks from the yard and make row markers out of them. I think they're in a box around here somewhere... better get 'em out soon.

The Mustard Seed Gardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Great idea! :dance :tools :rose

whatnow? said:
To pass the winter, I have the kids cut out pictures of the things I plan on putting in the garden. Then we collect sticks from the yard and make row markers out of them. I think they're in a box around here somewhere... better get 'em out soon.

Latest posts