...And Like A Good Neighbor...

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh how I envy you all with good neighbors! Of the 6 close neighbors I would only say we like and enjoy the house across the street to the north. A young couple with a devilishly adorable little girl. City Hall and Tavern on the East. Tavern owner lives there. He can be a real pain! Family that rents the house to the south do not speak to us. Have Dobermans that bark non-stop. 2 neighbors to the west are nice enough. Just not very considerate. Loud music, arguments at all hours, pleasure fires nightly that fill our house with smoke. :sick
Still we wave and say Hello. (I wave at every one, confuses the kids on my bus, they think I know EVERYBODY!) :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm also lucky to have good neighbors. The one next door is a little odd but that's ok. It's her barking dogs that drive my husband crazy. Fortunately, she keeps them inside except for a short break when they're outside barking at everyone that passes by.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to be a waver. Waving back at the neighbors on the little gravel road to my dad's farm got me a stalker some years back. I'd drive out there by myself to feed the horses and this creepo started following me out there on his 4-wheeler. So I don't wave anymore unless I know who it is.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@journey11, that's kind of scary how did you get him to stop? when I'm driving i wave at everyone but you can't see my house from the road so no waving from there.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our new place seems to have some very nice people and a couple of real trashy looking places that the neighbors we have met assure us that those people are as trashy as their homes. One nest is of camp trailers that look as if they haven't been moved in 20 years. Another is a tumble down trailer house that looks like a salvage yard. Everybody else takes pride in their homes and land, keeping things neat and in good repair.

Our 8 acres runs long, 1086 feet, and on one side there are 6 places of 1 3/4 acres each, with double wides on them. The other side is another 8 acre plot with no home on it. Behind us is a thousand acres that is high-wire fenced. Across the street are a couple of ranches with fine homes set far off the road.

The neighbors that we have met are welcoming and friendly. We feel fortunate to find such a great neighborhood.

@thistlebloom I am glad that your neighborhood has taken a turn for the better. It is so nice to have children in the neighborhood.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11, that's kind of scary how did you get him to stop? when I'm driving i wave at everyone but you can't see my house from the road so no waving from there.

It was a long ordeal and went on for over a year. It got to where I had to have my DH ride out with me. Only thing that stopped it was the motorcycle wreck that killed him. :\

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom, I'm a waver, too. Out here in the sticks, I just figure everyone is a neighbor. Many are vehicles that go past as part of their daily routine. I might not play cards, or have picnics with them, but they all know me in passing or by having had their children in school.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
In our situation I think the kids were key to getting to know the new folks. When spring and summer rolled around and the kids were starting their visits back and forth with their buddies, my grumpy brother was living in his motorhome on our property parked up by the road, the only place it was level enough and it would fit.
He also has an antisocial dog, so the kids rode their bikes as far as possible on the other side of the road and hurried by.

Once my brothers property closed and they moved out (and we all breathed a sigh of relief :D ) they responded to us waving at them from up by the house with waves and hellos.

But the real ice breaker was Meredith the sprinkler loving moose.
The kids went by one day and could see her on the lawn enjoying her
shower. They ran home to tell their mom who hadn't seen a moose before (they just moved here from Illinois).

So the whole family came over and we stood around watching Meredith and chatting for a couple of hours. But they are just genuinely nice people, the kind who can get along with everybody.
The other family to the east of us is equally nice and very friendly.

All of the kids have an open invitation to come and play ball with Wren who is in seventh heaven with all the attention.

You're so right Bay, kids are a great addition to a neighborhood. :)

Latest posts