Announcing a new arrival

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The question is : Why did you clone an olive plant that never has produced in the first place ?
Well, it is like this: I had only had the parent plant for about two years. Not flowering or blooming is not unusual for olives. Some varieties take five to fifteen years before they produce their first olive. Like I wrote in the post, what IS very unusual is for the clone to flower the first year. That blew me out of the water, then to repeat the process in subsequent years when it is an EXACT duplicate of the parent baffles me. The parent is now five years old and has not flowered, but I am not giving up hope as it is a magnificent plant none the less.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought I would do a follow up on El Primo. The plant flowered and produced a few olives the first year after being cloned. Unusual to say the least. The plant flowered and produced olives the second year. Also unusual. Now, the plant has flowered and has set olives this, the third year. What is unusual, is that the parent plant has never flowered or produced a single olive. It is the oldest and largest olive plant I have. The plants share identical genes and live side by side in the same media and conditions. I'll never understand plants. :rolleyes:

View attachment 18707

It's normally, really. In biology textbooks plant looks like a body, which consists of a root, stem, leaves, flowers and fruits (in most cases). The plant needs nutrients. Nutrient composition should vary depending on the stage of plant development.

This is true, but not all. Like any other living organism, the plant should interact with the outside world. It is involved in the energy exchange. In particular, the plant is well perceived threat. The threat makes the plant think about procreation in order to survive. I am sorry that some people are taking advantage of this.

For example, I know an old lady who had an old peony. Peony did not want to bloom a few years. Rather than divide the old bush, she took a knife and repeatedly struck root. Peony bloomed the next year like a man possessed. Also known practice, when the ax hit the fruit trees in the garden, if it does not give fruit. Tree perceives a threat and gives the fruit the following year. Or pineapple in the room. Florist pulls it out of the pot and hangs up the roots to stimulate flowering.

Perhaps, in your case the severed branch "remembered" that it could happen to her again at any time. Therefore, it blooms for to extend the genus faster. A relaxed for a long time, the mother plant has not flowers.

However, the plant receives not only a threat, but also love. I know many cases where plants died after his master's death. Although they continued to receive good care.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good explanation @Larisa. I have read to take a limber switch and whip okra plants to get them to produce more okra pods. Never tried it, but I just might do that this year. Sounds like it is based on the same principles you just outlined.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is probably getting WAAY off track but before I throw them out, I might as well offer them.
A few weeks ago I opened a jar of dried unsalted Peruvian olives I got at Home goods for someone, and it turns out that no one actually likes them. Before I toss them out I thought I might as well offer any pits to anyone who might want them. As they are just sun dried (as opposed to cured) and picked fully ripe (and I mean fully, apparently the Peruvians like their olives squishy) the pits should still be viable. Whether there is any value for anyone here in seed grown olive trees, I have no clue (Assuming what I have read is accurate I assume these are of the Sevillana type, as the company that sells them sells the Bojita olives separately (unless I read the copy wrong and the two are the same thing). But if anyone wants any, let me know.

(Note please do not try and convince me why I should grow the pits (or ask me to plant them grow them to treelets and send you cuttings so you can graft them) I have neither the climate to grow olives outdoors nor the indoor space to do one in a pot, and even if I did, what would I do with them? (I don't LIKE the taste of olives, my parents would never eat olives that were not professionally cured and the odds of getting enough olives off one potted tree to make making oil at all feasible is ludicrous (especially with no equipment))

I'm sorry to get so testy about this, but I have had to deal with too many people who replied to offers of seed I found too troublesome to deal with with demands I deal with it myself for their benefit and alter my life into whatever would best fit their needs regardless of what mine are. I do not like people who want me to be a martyr for their causes, as opposed to mine.