Another use for herbs:)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you didn't know what it was you wouldn't recognize it as basil. It's sprawly instead of upright with narrow purple leaves that are lance shaped. It sheds its disguise when it flowers. The flower spathes are typical of basil.

fl_deb

Sprout
Reaction score
Is Thai Basil sold as Cinnamon Basil or is that a different plant?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a good question, _deb.

I don't much care for the way Richters describes it: "From Mexico. Growth habit is similar to that of regular sweet basil, with a distinctive cinnamon taste and odour. Mexicans like to place a vase of fresh cut herb on the dinner table to ward off insects. Curiously, they do not seem to use it much in cuisine, despite its superb flavour. Deserves experimentation!"

If someone has the definitive information on basils, I'd like to have it. Most are Ocimum basilicum, which we could call "sweet" basil. There are some that are not, however. Still, we could stay within that species for culinary purposes.

Hoodat, I suspect that you really enjoy a basil flavor. I also enjoy Thai basil most but I avoid actually chewing it up and swallowing it. It is wonderful as a fragrance and flavoring my food . . .

If it is pesto, I'm still going with an Italian choice. There doesn't seem to be too much difference in the taste between of Napolitano and Genovese. Disease-free is becoming the most serious issue for me since fusarium is such a problem with some basils. It is why I no longer grow Lettuce Leaf basil.

I have grown Thai Magic the last few years and intend to go back to Siam Queen. In fact, some of that variety is growing in the greenhouse right now.

Okay, Cinnamon basil will have to be "experimented" with in 2011 :rolleyes:.

Steve

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I saw some thai basil at walmart...and you are right. I didn't recognize it. stuff is slowly starting to go on clearance in the plant dept so I might snag a few plants

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took my pesto over to my Brother's house last nite and he and his wife loved the blue cheese garlic basil flavors. Yummy on crackers or bread or on my oversized radishes!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
fl_deb said:
Is Thai Basil sold as Cinnamon Basil or is that a different plant?
They are similar but different plants. The Thai basil has a more complex flavor and a slight bite. In Southeast Asia they are added to soup at the last minute before serving and I suspect it is more for the aroma than the taste. There are several cold vegetable dishes it is also used in as well as salads.

fl_deb

Sprout
Reaction score
hmmmm, love cinnamon basil sooooooo, I think it's game on for Thai Basil for early fall plamting. Now, if I can find some locally.....
i can almost taste it now.....

;)

craftsmaster

Sprout
Reaction score
it's not unusual to see parsley and purple basil as border plants. These are placed in a spot that's handy to pick, and they're colorful so they add beauty to this spot in your yard. Plant loves tomatoes, and it's a mutual admiration club.

Latest posts