Any one ever do a fall strawberry planting?

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've heard that you can plant strawberries in the fall and they work great. Anyone ever do this? But where on earth can I get them at this time? I'm really wanting plugs but will settle on the bare root type. Any help is appreciated.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was wondering about this too...I have some really healthy strawberries in a strawberry pot, that I would like to put in the ground, to save for next year. I was thinking a fall planting might work. I would imagine the only way to get strawberry plants right now, would be to order them...Hope someone else has some info! Good luck!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I move my strawberries when ever I feel compelled to and have never had a problem they are hardy! they are sold in the spring but I have all these runners I use to fill my rock tiers so when I am wandering around I snip the runners and just stick them places

even in the winter i have put some someplace else and in the spring they just keep growing!

I am sure there are "rules" but as long as I dont know them things work out :) good luck!

as far as where to get them? Maybe mail order catalogs? I think if you know folks that have strawberries and are thinning out beds they would be happy to share?
I have tons of runners if you came by my house I would give you a bucket full!
I always wondered why you do not see them in stores all year because really while you do not get berries until the time for them but the plants will either stay dormant in the cold or grow when it warms

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It may be zone specific, but our local farm rips their plants out every June when we're all done doing our picking. They replant them in the fall, and cover them in row covers (and clear plastic) so the are ready to go in the spring and ready for me to come fill buckets!!!!!

Latest posts