Any tips on faster herb growth?

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have some herbs that I planted over a month ago. They are under very bright lights that are close to the plant and are in a room that is about 80 degrees. I have given them organic fertilizer but it didn't really do anything. I am also leary about giving them chemical fertilizer because you eat the leaves. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What herbs are you growing? I imagine some grow slower than others. Can you post a picture?

I just repotted some Greek oregano that I started in mid January. They are still tiny things with only three pairs of true leaves. But I have another from last November that's in a big pot and sprawling all over the place, so I know they will get there eventually.

-Wendy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you used seed starting mix- I would recommend getting them into regular potting soil. The other thing that is always in short supply for us gardeners- patience!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Once they are out in the soil don't push the growth on the stronger flavored herbs like oregano, sage and thyme. Lush soft growth will not give you the flavor that slow, harder growth will. Many herbs grow in arid conditions with poor soil in the wild.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think the biggest factor to fast growing any kind of seedling is soil temp. Do you have them where they are getting a draft? This would bring down the overall soil temp and slow them up.

brandylorton

Leafing Out
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
What herbs are you growing? I imagine some grow slower than others. Can you post a picture?

I just repotted some Greek oregano that I started in mid January. They are still tiny things with only three pairs of true leaves. But I have another from last November that's in a big pot and sprawling all over the place, so I know they will get there eventually.

-Wendy
Yes you are right if you can provide some more information and pictures here than it will be very much helpful to us too in the way of doing some sore of research and knowing the facts about it.

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not sure about the exact temperature for most of those but your basil is going to bolt a lot sooner at 80F than if you kept it cooler. They don't necessarily need the soil as warm as some other types of plants.

Using water soluble fertilizer shouldn't be much of an issue, you can always rinse the leaves off later and IF it is dilute enough you're also doing foliar feeding if it gets on the leaves rather than killing them with too strong a solution.

Latest posts