Anybody grow pepperoncinis?

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My DH loves them. He asked me if I would try growing some and pickling them for him. (I have never made a pickle in my life.)
Does anyone know how many days they need to mature?

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was just looking at pepperoncini seed last night, Peteyfoozer! I've never grown them or made pickles either, but it sure is tempting. Pepperoncini are soooo good. Hopefully somebody will get on here and answer your question so we will both know! :p

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i got seeds for the 2011 growing season but never got to starting them. i'm hoping they will still be good for this year when i start them. dh is a heat fanatic and especially loves the spicy hot pepper/pepperoncini rings!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
i got seeds for the 2011 growing season but never got to starting them. i'm hoping they will still be good for this year when i start them. dh is a heat fanatic and especially loves the spicy hot pepper/pepperoncini rings!
I just did a planting of various seeds, some with dates going back to the early 80's. Over 75% have germinated so far, so seeds from 2011 will not be a problem!!!

THANX RICH

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew Pepperoncinis in 2010, Petey.

Like you, I never pickled a pepper in my life. But, I really should have made an exception with the Pepperoncinis . . . However, I didn't :/.

Really, I was just trying to expand my small sweet pepper selection from 1 (Fushimi). Fushimi was such a great little pepper when I grew it that I really thought I was on a roll. The last 2 years, the Fushimi hasn't been all that great - a little too spicy and thin-walled. Don't know what happened there. It really must be the growing conditions from 1 year to the next, I suppose.

Anyway, the Pepperoncinis were fine and I may just go with them sometime in the future instead of that little Japanese pepper. Something I hadn't realized about them is that they are wrinkled :rolleyes:. Oh yeah, I knew they were wrinkled in the jar but I thought that was from the vinegar, or salt :p.

Smaller peppers seem to work better for me, Petey. A cool start to the growing season, which is real common around here, means that the heat-loving plants (like peppers) never get very large. If they produce small fruit, that fruit can just cover the little plant by the end of the season! Small plants seem to just work too hard to produce large peppers. I grew Chinese Giants one year - it wasn't a very good pepper year - they produced like 1 large pepper & 1 misshapen pepper on each plant! Pathetic!

The Yummy Sweets last year - terrible year at the start, anyway - had more peppers than leaves almost! I harvest Thai Hots by cutting the entire plant and taking it home. It is just too tedious to sit out there and pick & pick & pick. (Of course, when they are that small - it takes 10 minutes of picking to fill your shirt pocket :rolleyes:.) Grow some Thai Hots or Thai Dragons for your "heat fanatic," Chickie'sMoma!

Pepperoncinis! I think they should do okay for most anyone :).

Steve

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
well, I think we will give it a shot. That's funny that they GROW wrinkly. Perhaps we should meet back here next fall with our pepperocini jars and compare notes! :tools

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi Petey,
The variety from Botanical Interests gives a 65 to maturity from transplanting. That is fairly quick compared to most peppers. I think it is worth a try. As for pickling, I would use a basic brine for pickles and poke a few holes in the peppers to allow the brine to get inside thorughly.

Good luck and Happy Gardening!:D

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thanks for the tips!...P.S. love the ridgeback. Neat dogs!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I grew Pepperoncinis in 2010, Petey.

Like you, I never pickled a pepper in my life. But, I really should have made an exception with the Pepperoncinis . . . However, I didn't :/.

Really, I was just trying to expand my small sweet pepper selection from 1 (Fushimi). Fushimi was such a great little pepper when I grew it that I really thought I was on a roll. The last 2 years, the Fushimi hasn't been all that great - a little too spicy and thin-walled. Don't know what happened there. It really must be the growing conditions from 1 year to the next, I suppose.

Anyway, the Pepperoncinis were fine and I may just go with them sometime in the future instead of that little Japanese pepper. Something I hadn't realized about them is that they are wrinkled :rolleyes:. Oh yeah, I knew they were wrinkled in the jar but I thought that was from the vinegar, or salt :p.

Smaller peppers seem to work better for me, Petey. A cool start to the growing season, which is real common around here, means that the heat-loving plants (like peppers) never get very large. If they produce small fruit, that fruit can just cover the little plant by the end of the season! Small plants seem to just work too hard to produce large peppers. I grew Chinese Giants one year - it wasn't a very good pepper year - they produced like 1 large pepper & 1 misshapen pepper on each plant! Pathetic!

The Yummy Sweets last year - terrible year at the start, anyway - had more peppers than leaves almost! I harvest Thai Hots by cutting the entire plant and taking it home. It is just too tedious to sit out there and pick & pick & pick. (Of course, when they are that small - it takes 10 minutes of picking to fill your shirt pocket :rolleyes:.) Grow some Thai Hots or Thai Dragons for your "heat fanatic," Chickie'sMoma!

Pepperoncinis! I think they should do okay for most anyone :).

Steve
oh, i have! and he LOVES those! along with his habanero too! now that i think of it he's pickled peppers before. he tends to use cider vinegar in everything and he used that in the mixture of hot peppers i grew a couple years ago! seems like the Thai hots and Thai Dragons weren't on the market for a couple years and then last year the popped back up! so i bought lots of those seeds and have them stored away!

Latest posts