Anyone grow these kinds of peppers?

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never grown peppers before - mainly because I really didn't know what to do with them. Since everyone else seems to grow them I decided that I would do some research on how to use them, and try growing a few. I was snooping on Ebay the other day and came across a couple of Italian heirloom peppers that sounds really good: Marconi red pepper and Corno di Toro Giallo. Anyone have any experience with these? From what I read, the Marconi are very sweet and the Corno di Toro are considered a sweet pepper, but have a touch of spiciness. . .

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown the Marconi's for several years! They are wonderful. Small plants, absolutely bending over with the weight of all their fruit. They taste delicious, and are great for freezing. I had 23 pounds in the freezer after harvest! Since they are huge, they are perfect for stuffed pepper recipes. I would highly recommend these peppers!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew the Giant Red Marconi last year and liked them. Nice flavor, good size, and decent but not really great thickness of walls. I'd recommend you try them.

I have not tried the Golden Marconi or the non-giant regular Red Marconi, so I can't give an opinion on those. But the Giant Red Marconi sweet pepper is up there with Super Shepherd in my book. I have not tried the others.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the marconi, lesa and Ridgerunner. Good to know that someone with experience actually thinks they are good! I think I'm going to buy the seed and give them a try. Lesa, how many plants did you have?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I had about a dozen... a few regular bells mixed in. But they produced next to nothing, compared to the Marconi's.

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've started some Corno di Toro Rossis this year. Haven't ever done before, but they sounded interesting in the catalog, so here goes! :)

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, Joz, nothing ventured nothing gained. I think I'm going to order those as well and see what happens. I think the Rossi's are red and the Giallo's are orange, but from what I've read they are pretty much the same otherwise.

Lesa, you got that many pounds from about a dozen plants? That's crazy!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was truly shocked! They just kept coming. I was still picking peppers in November!! Unheard of, here. I still need to eat an awful lot of peppers this winter, to even make a dent in them!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
let me guess, are these coming from a person from Ohio? i had great luck with his seeds if it is him! out of all the tomato varieties his germinated and grew very strong! i didn't get a chance to start the peppers i got from him last year though.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
. . . I think the Rossi's are red and the Giallo's are orange . . .
Corno di Toro has been in my garden but I don't know if it was one of these sub-varieties or not, Skeeter. I have to say that it was probably the most prolific pepper I've ever grown! It was not one of the thickest walled tho' . . .

The Marconi is just great and the Giant Marconi is my favorite sweet pepper, very flavorful. It isn't terribly productive and, I'm sorry to say, Giant Marconi is a hybrid.

You have gotten a good deal of encouragement for the Marconi - put my vote in that column, too :)!

Steve

Latest posts